What HRX217 do I have?

crowebar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a HRX217 off of craigslist for 80.00, a little fixer upper. However, I don't know what the model number is. The decal was gone behind the motor. I'll attach a few pics. Also, what is the difference between a HRX217HYA and a HRX217HXA.
I did get the motor serial number. It is - G7AAA-1140940 MY2*
Thanks!

20150308_084952_resized.jpg20150308_085022_resized.jpg20150308_085044_resized.jpg20150308_085052_resized.jpg20150308_085105_resized.jpg

Threads
I am not quite sure which Honda HRX you have, because I can not see the throttle control area of the mower in your pictures as close as I would need to. I will let Robert@Honda find that out for you (probably on Monday). But I DO know that the difference between the HRX217HYA and the HRX217HXA (no longer made) is that the HYA has auto-choke and the HXA does not. They both have the blade brake clutch.

Click on the links in the next to paragraphs for photos.

If the throttle control area looks like THIS it should be the HXA. Notice the choke is not automatic and after you start it you have to switch it into the fast postion.

And if it looks like THIS it should be the HYA. Notice how there is no CHOKE setting on the throttle. You put it in the fast position to start it AND to mow.

Robert@Honda should be able to determine what mower you have, so check back for a reply. But I hope my info helped you learn the difference between the HYA and HXA. :smile:

crowebar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you! I have the HXA with manual choke.
I have a few issues to deal with, the transmission seems to be slipping. I've found a few threads regarding fluid level and am suspicious that this may the trouble here. I'm going to pull the transmission drain and refill it. Sounds like getting every last bubble out is important. Now I have to figure out how to get it apart. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and am looking forward to the project. Are there any reference manuals online that you are aware of or should I just buy a shop manual.
Thanks again for the help!

Threads
Thank you! I have the HXA with manual choke.
I have a few issues to deal with, the transmission seems to be slipping. I've found a few threads regarding fluid level and am suspicious that this may the trouble here. I'm going to pull the transmission drain and refill it. Sounds like getting every last bubble out is important. Now I have to figure out how to get it apart. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and am looking forward to the project. Are there any reference manuals online that you are aware of or should I just buy a shop manual.
Thanks again for the help!

I think you have to buy a shop manual, but again, Robert@Honda can tell you more.

crowebar

Forum Newbie
Threads
No problem,
I found a guide online on how to service the hydrostat transmission. It was a little tricky getting the thing out, but after I cleaned it out and filled it back up it flies! It would barely even move before, just lurched and would only run at slow speed.
Never had so much fun mowing my lawn!
Thanks for the help.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
LMF is correct; the Honda HRX217HXA model has a manual choke, while newer HYA models have an automatic choke.

I'm running a scan on the engine serial number to see if I can match it to frame serial number. If I get a match, I might have some history on the unit.

cbpeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know it needed a little maintenance, but $80 sounds like a steal. Good find.

crowebar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I feel pretty good about it. The big issue was the hydrostatic drive, it barely worked, but I was lucky and found a tutorial on how to remove it and repair it and it worked like a charm. The fluid that came out was just plain nasty and the reservoir wasn't full enough. It was pumping air. When I got it back together I put the control at high speed and it did a burn out! I wasn't ready for that! I'm just glad it worked out. It needs new blades too. I'll take care of that today.
I'm very impressed with the Honda engineering. It is fun to work on a nice piece of equipment!

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
crowebar, you have an important Safety Recall private message (alert).

crowebar

Forum Newbie
Threads
crowebar, you have an important Safety Recall private message (alert).

Thanks Robert!
I got the private message and will have the spring replaced immediately! (Before my lawn really starts growing!)