Honda HR-21 Restoration

Thalweg

Threads
I'm restoring an early 1980s Honda HR-21 mower. Last weekend I was sanding the deck to paint it, and it occurred to me that this aluminum might polish up nicely. I have a 1962 Airstream camper that I polish regularly, so I've got lots of practice doing that. So I spent a couple of hours cleaning it up and polishing the deck. It's not a great job, but I figure that a good job may take around 20 hours. It is definitely not worth spending that kind of time on. I was hoping that some of you folks who are passionate about mowers would give me your opinion. Does this just look stupid, or is it kind of cool? Should I just go ahead and paint it silver like it originally was, or spray a clear coat on it like it is now to keep it from corroding?
Mower Deck 1.png
Mower Deck 2.png

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love it! Not many mowers like that out there.

Just spray a clear coat.

Snapperfreak

Threads
I think that's a cool idea, especially since u have an old airstream too. Paint will eventually chip but that polished finish will sure last. I like those older Hondas too, looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Mystik2stroke

Threads
Hey-

I know you worked really hard to get that polished. For a restoration, I think it's best to stick to factory intentions, and use the silver metallic paint. Your work ethic is great and whatever you do should turn out great. Keep posting the progress.

crowebar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I say clear coat, You really did a nice job on the deck! Motor might look nice polished up too!

Thalweg

Threads
OK, I'm really slow on this restoration, too many irons in the fire. I finished the mower deck and everything except the engine quite a while back. I tore the engine down, and it's been sitting on the bench for a couple of months, but I ran into something I'm debating on how to deal with.

The valve seat for the exhaust valve is protruding out of the block/head, and the valve is frozen to the seat, and the seat is a little cock-eyed. I figure that this means the engine is toast as I suspect that the seat can't be replaced. It probably can't be removed without damaging the block, or at least needing a lot of special tools that I don't have access to.

So, I've been looking for a replacement engine. The original GV-150 isn't available, but GV-160's are plentiful. The question I have is; the GV-150 specs show a 22.2 mm output shaft, and the GV-160 shows a 25 mm shaft. If this is accurate, the clutch mechanism and pulley's wouldn't fit properly. But then again, maybe I'm not reading the specs correctly. Has anyone done an engine swap like this? Are there other potential problems that I'm missing?

I'd appreciate any advice.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nice polish job.
If you are going to leave it polished be wary of reflected sunlight when you are using it.
There are some great clear coats for allot available from places like AIRCRAFT SPRUCE that will take fuel spils & sun without yellowing.

Remember it is your mower.
You will be the one pushng it
so if it floats your boat be happy

KrashnKraka

Threads
I'm restoring an early 1980s Honda ....
[...]
Should I just go ahead and paint it silver like it originally was, or spray a clear coat on it like it is now to keep it from corroding?
[pix removed]

...maaaaate, I say,,, yer gotta paint the Honda logo red - I meannnn, c'''mon...!
It wont go fast without some red innit, trust me!:rolleyes:

Lacquer and some fresh grass clippings, you will turn heads ;-)

Thalweg

Threads
Hmmm, painting the "Honda" red. That's a good idea. I did end up painting the whole deck silver. The actual polish wasn't as good as it looks in the photos, and rather than have a second rate polish job, I painted it.

After researching the engine issue, I came to the conclusion that Briggs and Stratton are the only ones still making engines with the 7/8" shaft. It looks like all the Honda's have 1" (25 mm) shafts. So, my options appear to be; put a Briggs on it, or scrap the entire thing. So, sadly, it looks like I'll be ordering a Briggs. If I can get it to bolt up, I think it should work. It just won't be as pretty.

KrashnKraka

Threads
Hmmm, painting the "Honda" red. That's a good idea. I did end up painting the whole deck silver. The actual polish wasn't as good as it looks in the photos, and rather than have a second rate polish job, I painted it.
[...].

... mmM, pity... I was kinda taken with the concept, bummer :(
Those hammertone finishes are great, and hardwearing.

Galmet® Hammered Metal Finish

Thanks for your post.

/out