Honda hrm215 mower blade not spinning fast

sparkyjay

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Honda Harmony215 self propelled mower that was given to me. It has been a great mower so far, but recently started having an issue with the blade not engaging at full speed. When you push down the yellow button and push the blade handle forward, the blade spins very slowly. This is with the rpms up on the engine and on pavement. Any ideas what may cause this or have anything to try?? Appreciate any input you might have. Thanks!!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Disconnect spark plug wire, turn mower on its side with carburetor side of engine closest to ground, inspect underside completely, are blade bolts tight, blade brake clutch assembly parts tight, etc. If everything looks ok turn mower right side up & adjust blade engagement cable, tighten a little at a time until you achieve 3/4 inches free play when you push yellow button & handle forward before resistance is felt & give it a try. Let us know how it goes, thanks.

Honda Lawn Mowers - Owners Manuals locate your model & serial numbers for correct manual.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
An original Honda Harmony 215 is pushing 20+ years old now. There is an actual clutch between the blade and engine, and the linings of the clutch can wear out, eventually.

If mechanic marks's tips don't resolve the slow-speed blades, the clutch may need to be disassembled and inspected (there are wear specs for the lining).

A factory shop manual is highly recommended, and will save you lots of frustration. Honda sells them direct on Amazon and eBay:
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Note there are some running changes to the clutch, so double-check your serial number.

hrmhrbbbcearly_zpsaa86c149.jpg

scook

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Robert,
My Hrm 215 MZBB 6360774 is having blade spinning problems also. After taking off the blades, I tried to loosen the center nut that holds the clutch on but it feels like it turns the engine. Should I use an impact on this?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Robert,
My Hrm 215 MZBB 6360774 is having blade spinning problems also. After taking off the blades, I tried to loosen the center nut that holds the clutch on but it feels like it turns the engine. Should I use an impact on this?

Wedge a 2 x 4 or other suitable board between the blades and the discharge chute. This will block/hold the blades so you can use a regular ratchet or breaker bar and the engine won't turn. Wear heavy gloves when working around the blades!