Need a Crankshaft

tyson62792

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone have a crankshaft for a Kohler 17 HP Spec # 24363 or know where I can buy one

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like your engine takes crankshaft part number 52 014 73, superceding to 52 142 03, superceded to 52 142 03-s, retail price $1070.77 How many do you want.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know what is wrong with your old crankshaft but, as I recall Kohler has rod inserts, your crank be reground with a oversize insert if that is the problem?

tyson62792

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know Kohler makes .010 undersize rods I have not heard of inserts and am not familiar with them, is ths something Kohler has ? The problem with my crank is wear on the main bearing area. Still looking for a used crank don't want to spend $1000.00 for one, might try spray welding the crank and getting it turned back to spec if that isn't cost prohibitive. Never tried it before but I don't see why it wouldn't work unless someone out there does. Used Crank anyone ????

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know Kohler makes .010 undersize rods I have not heard of inserts and am not familiar with them, is ths something Kohler has ? The problem with my crank is wear on the main bearing area. Still looking for a used crank don't want to spend $1000.00 for one, might try spray welding the crank and getting it turned back to spec if that isn't cost prohibitive. Never tried it before but I don't see why it wouldn't work unless someone out there does. Used Crank anyone ????

I don't know what Kohler you have, but the magnum has rod inserts or you can call them bearings. If you can get oversize rods your model doesn't have inserts. I have found machine shop work doesn't come cheap so yes used crank if you can find one, Might be a lot easier to find a used engine , something you can salvage a good crank from.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spraying got to be very expensive. I like salvage search idea if you can find a place. Sometimes ebay or craigslist?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you looked into the spray welding, if a new crankshaft is over a 1000 dollars it sure has to be cheaper to repair the old crankshaft then replace it. I have never had a crank spray welded but have had them turned down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get the crank ground down to suit a Corrillo custom con rod.
Corillo will make a rod , if they dont have hen as a std item for the mower racing / go cart crowd.
A custom rod should be around $ 200 -$ 300 mark
Off the shelf will be $ 100 - $ 200 region.
Crank regrind will be about $ 40

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get the crank ground down to suit a Corrillo custom con rod.
Corillo will make a rod , if they dont have hen as a std item for the mower racing / go cart crowd.
A custom rod should be around $ 200 -$ 300 mark
Off the shelf will be $ 100 - $ 200 region.
Crank regrind will be about $ 40

Post #5 he said the mains were bad not the rods. Makes me wonder what the condition the case is in?