PTO running backwards??

Park8084

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased an older model snowblower for my grasshopper 618 I have owned for a few years. After hooking it up, I noticed that the auger ran backwards. I cannot say for sure if the mower deck runs backward or there is something hooked up wrong with the blower.

Has anyone heard of this before?

mowerman05

Threads
are you sure the belt does not have a twist that will make it go backwards, or maybe it should have one to make it go forward. check your owners manual just to make sure it's installed correct.

bobbysr

Threads
Are you sure? Unless the engine is running backwards , I don't know how this could happen. The snow thrower runs directly off the drive shaft from the mower. If your blades were running backwards (while cutting grass) I'd think that you would notice a poor quailty of cut, as well as the clippings not shooting out from the discharge chute in the proper manor.

bobbysr

Threads
are you sure the belt does not have a twist that will make it go backwards, or maybe it should have one to make it go forward. check your owners manual just to make sure it's installed correct.

The Grasshopper Snowthrowers don't have any belts.

bobbysr

Threads
I looked at my snowthrower. While standing in front of it, the auger will be going down. If you stand in front of your mower ,(without a deck), the pto will spin in a clock-wise direrction.

173abn

Threads
so what happens when you blow snow w/it?...russ