glow plugs for 721D ???

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Dumb brainfart-type question, but does the 721D diesel engine utilize "traditional" glow plugs to start? I wonder because I cannot see a 120v grounded plug to pre-heat them, like I used to have on my diesel truck. If this mower does use glowplugs then it may be time to get new ones... I tried to start it a week ago when it was really cold and got nothing. Everything else was good to go but she wouldn't start. That makes this tractor worhtless to me as is, since I intend to be ready to throw some snow if we get another winter like last year.

Thanks.
JN

173abn

Threads
on my 928D you turn the key the opposite way to heat the plug,same as my YANMAR tractor....russ

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not all diesel engines have a glow plug system. Just a small spray of starting fluid pass the air cleaner.

173abn

Threads
I've read from many folks that starting fluid is not a good thing for diesels.could be wrong but I would'nt do it.I would almost bet the 721d has a glow plug to start it in cold weather otherwise Grasshopper would'nt make snowthrowers for them if they could'nt be started in cold weather.if anything,he could use a block heater on it...russ

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've read from many folks that starting fluid is not a good thing for diesels.could be wrong but I would'nt do it.I would almost bet the 721d has a glow plug to start it in cold weather otherwise Grasshopper would'nt make snowthrowers for them if they could'nt be started in cold weather.if anything,he could use a block heater on it...russ

OK just what is the reason you are saying this? What is bad?

173abn

Threads
heres how I understand it,spraying ether starting fluid dries out the cylinder walls.if you just got to use it use ether w/an upper end lubricant.should say it on the can or a squirt of wd-40....russ

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
heres how I understand it,spraying ether starting fluid dries out the cylinder walls.if you just got to use it use ether w/an upper end lubricant.should say it on the can or a squirt of wd-40....russ

You are thinking back in years pass. Yes that was a problem in the earlier years but since then they have added a additive in the starter fluid to prevent that problem. Another thing all it takes is a small pass by the air cleaner to work. In all the years of working in the repair trade I have never came across damage caused by starter fluid. I really don't know if the PO has glow plugs on his diesel or not, but if he dose I do agree he should get them working. I also recall when I was working on diesels the glow plugs and the relay that operated them were big money to replace.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dumb brainfart-type question, but does the 721D diesel engine utilize "traditional" glow plugs to start? I wonder because I cannot see a 120v grounded plug to pre-heat them, like I used to have on my diesel truck. If this mower does use glowplugs then it may be time to get new ones... I tried to start it a week ago when it was really cold and got nothing. Everything else was good to go but she wouldn't start. That makes this tractor worhtless to me as is, since I intend to be ready to throw some snow if we get another winter like last year.

Thanks.
JN

After reading this post I will say this person has no idea what he is doing. There is much more to the glow plug system then just the glow plugs. I will say take it to someone who knows how to test the system because its just too expensive to start replacing parts. Also remember no returns on electrical parts.

173abn

Threads
I stand corrected on the starter fluid issue but I did say use the one w/the lubricant.I think he should turn his key to the left,opposite the way to start to see if that activates the glow plugs...russ