Snow blower Snowblower/Counter wieght question

foamer01

Threads
Greetings and thanks for reading my question. I picked up a 616 used w/250 hrs and a 412 snow thrower on a separate sale. After downloading a 412 user manual it talks about a warning to make sure you use a counter weight. Is this required and or essential or just to make the law department happy? Seems the 48" power-fold deck would be heavier than the snow thrower with the exception that the deck is always in contact with the ground. Help a newbie better understand this.
Thanks!

gfp55

Threads
Greetings and thanks for reading my question. I picked up a 616 used w/250 hrs and a 412 snow thrower on a separate sale. After downloading a 412 user manual it talks about a warning to make sure you use a counter weight. Is this required and or essential or just to make the law department happy? Seems the 48" power-fold deck would be heavier than the snow thrower with the exception that the deck is always in contact with the ground. Help a newbie better understand this.
Thanks!
Snow removal is a little different then cutting grass. You will need more weight then you need cutting grass. There are times when you will have to lift the blower and drive the machine around and with all the weight hanging out front it will be hard to turn and stop without that weight on the back or what they call counter weight. You could go ahead and try it but chances are you are going to need it (counter weight) to safely turn, stop, backup and maneuver. I hope I was of help to you.

foamer01

Threads
Thanks for the response this does make sense. I will buy the weight kit.

bobbysr

Threads
I have a Grasshopper 729T and have the 48" snow thrower. I am able to use it without the counter weight, but stopping quickly will cause the mower to slightly rock forward. My 700 series mower is heavier than your 600 series. So, I'm guessing that you should probably get the weight.

bobbysr

Threads
Here's mine, on my old Grasshopper 725.48thrower.jpg

foamer01

Threads
Wow you sure can tell I am a new user and not familiar with the product. So I decided to purchase the weight kit and fortunately I checked the unit before I did and discovered it was already installed. They (Grasshopper) engineer their products so well the weights on this unit are very concealed. Thanks for taking time to respond to my question.

gfp55

Threads
Wow you sure can tell I am a new user and not familiar with the product. So I decided to purchase the weight kit and fortunately I checked the unit before I did and discovered it was already installed. They (Grasshopper) engineer their products so well the weights on this unit are very concealed. Thanks for taking time to respond to my question.
Well thats great, you don't have to deal with putting it on. Can you post some pictures of the counter weight on your Grasshopper? I would like to see it and see how they did theirs. Maybe also a picture or two or your snowblower after you mount it on your rig, you know all set up and ready to do work. Best Regards.

bobbysr

Threads
Can you post some pictures of the counter weight on your Grasshopper?

Here's a picture of the 50# counter weight on my 729Tcounter weight 003.jpg. I have the hydraulic deck lift & it requires the extra weight.