Mower deck 725 Front mount 61" Power lift won't maintain cutting height

reevesjo

Threads
  • / 725 Front mount 61" Power lift won't maintain cutting height
Title pretty much describes my problem. It is a 2004 year model that I bought new in 2006. The last couple of years after setting cutting height at 2 1/2", when I mow for about 30 minutes on a little bit rough yard, the cutting height slips down about 1/4" and sometimes the electrical switch on the power lift mechanism will shut off the electric clutch. I then bump the height adjustment back up to the original height and everything is fine for another 30 minutes. I realize this is not an earth shaking problem, compared to everything else, just a nuisance. Only 360 hours on the machine. Everything seems to still be tight. Any ideas??

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

reevesjo

Threads
mechanic mark said: I believe you have a problem in powerfold system.

revesjo says: I agree, but does anyone know how to fix it?? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

reevesjo

Threads
[QUOTE=mechanic mark; Check all fuses first. Purchase an inexpensive multimeter tool at sears, instructions included, and test hydraulic valve solenoid operation. Let us know how it goes.
Fuses are all O.K. As to the hydraulic valve solenoid: It is a PowerFold, front mount deck and the lift mechanism is an electric actuator (cylinder). There is no hydraulic valve. I will try Customer Support.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

bobbysr

Threads
I also had a 2004 Grasshopper with a power lift that kept losing height. The solution is a spacer kit. Newer Grasshoppers with the lift, have it as standard equipment. Also, its not good to use your Grasshopper with the deck lifted and not resting on the spacers. You could bend the rod in the actuator- I know first hand about this.grasshopper lift 010.jpg

reevesjo

Threads
I also had a 2004 Grasshopper with a power lift that kept losing height. The solution is a spacer kit. Newer Grasshoppers with the lift, have it as standard equipment. Also, its not good to use your Grasshopper with the deck lifted and not resting on the spacers. You could bend the rod in the actuator- I know first hand about this.View attachment 23845

Thanks bobbysr: I submitted the problem to Customer Service at Grasshopper. A rep called me this morning and asked questions. He said I needed another "tapered" spacer and he would send me one. This would change the force a little and prevent raising the mechanism that holds the switch. I had not been resting on the spacers, but when the deck drifted down, it would rest on the spacers and slightly lift the mechanism that holds the switch that you show in your picture. This would then disengage the pto clutch. I would then jog the lift up a little and continue. He also said this mechanism could be made a little stronger so this would not happen. I did not understand without looking again at the deck to see exactly where he was talking about. But, I understood the fact that it might need to be stronger. I will put the "new" tapered spacer in place, rest the deck on the spacers, and see what happens. The mowing season is over here, but I am still chopping leaves. I have the mulching attachment and it does a pretty good job. Thanks for your input.

Mowermikey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same problem a few years ago and traded back the power lift for the regular lift. Much better. I have a Grasshopper 718 with over 1100 hours on it. One headlight out. Burns oil-no smoking and of course has lost some power. Despite all this mows great. Any idea value?

reevesjo

Threads
I had the same problem a few years ago and traded back the power lift for the regular lift. Much better. I have a Grasshopper 718 with over 1100 hours on it. One headlight out. Burns oil-no smoking and of course has lost some power. Despite all this mows great. Any idea value?

No idea on value. Someone might help it they knew age, width of cut, maybe a photo??