Another Courage gone. Briggs swap?

Robrote

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2010 Cub Cadet with 43 hours and an air cooled Courage 19hp. When I say air cooled, you know what I mean. I spoke briefly with Kohlers rep who wanted my original receipt (from 4 years ago) to even consider a warranty repair. Well, no receipt so no warranty.

I'm going to replace the engine. Do I hold my nose and spend 550 for a new courage and make a seamless swap or do I buy a Briggs and Stratton for around 450. I know the header pipe needs to be swapped out for the muffler to work. Am I looking at any other modifications to make a Briggs work?

Please give me some suggestions on what way I should go with this one.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 2010 Cub Cadet with 43 hours and an air cooled Courage 19hp. When I say air cooled, you know what I mean. I spoke briefly with Kohlers rep who wanted my original receipt (from 4 years ago) to even consider a warranty repair. Well, no receipt so no warranty.

I'm going to replace the engine. Do I hold my nose and spend 550 for a new courage and make a seamless swap or do I buy a Briggs and Stratton for around 450. I know the header pipe needs to be swapped out for the muffler to work. Am I looking at any other modifications to make a Briggs work?

I'd go back to the Courage. I'd go with the 20hp single though, not the 19hp.

jmick35

Threads
I just completed this project on my LT1045 today.
I bought an old Craftsman mower with no mower deck or battery off of Craigslist for $50.
Installed a Briggs twin model 402707 type 013501 from it into my Cub Cadet that I purchased in 2008.
See my post in the New Member Forum title New Member/Winter Project for pictures.
Maybe I just got lucky but it wasn't too hard to pull off.

Robrote

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Another Courage gone. Briggs swap? (final Update)

I forgot to update this thread on the conclusion to my problem.

I sent Kohler an email describing my issue. A real live Rep called me to talk about the problem with the engine. We went back in forth a few times on the phone and he advised me to take the mower to a qualified repair shop, which I did. Low and behold, Kohler sent the shop a brand new short block for my tractor. I had to pay for 2 hours labor, around 100 bucks, but I am back up and running.

I cannot say enough about how well I was treated by Kohler when they were alerted of the problem with my engine. I was very impressed. It would definitely sway my opinion on buying about tractor with a Kohler. Happy Ending!!!!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

I see you wrote this last Oct. and only two post. Glad you made out good with this.