Buying Advice Z-Force Commercial or Tank?

dshoffman77

Threads
Needing a new mower. My local dealer options are

Cub Cadet
Kubota
Hustler
BigDog

I can go out of state (KY) to get other brands but trying to keep in the neighborhood (Southern Indiana).

Need to know if there are any known issues with the Z-Force Commercial 48" with the Kohler engine. I'm possibly going to look at getting the TANK since I'm only a about 1500 difference from the Zforce.

I'll be cutting my 1.1 acre lot with the possibilities of picking up a few lawns (to help pay for the mower).

I've asked others where I work and they say "Dont get a Cub, they are not what they used to be". That could be good or bad. I'm not a lawn pro (yet) and have no history of buying quality mowers. Always got the Lowe's versions.

Thanks,

Dave.

Arwing64

Threads
Those mower companies are "ok", not my first choice but they will do the job. I would definitely advise staying away from Cub Cadets. They are repair hogs and constantly have trouble with their engine and just about everything else. Almost everything in their mowers are made in China. I would also stay away from anything that has a Kohler engine. They used to be great engines, but now their engine blocks and many other parts are made in China, and boy does it show. I labeled the Kohler Courage engines as "the self destructing engines". The Kohler Commands are ok but I would still stay away from them. Mowers that have either a Kawasaki, Generac, or a Briggs and Stratton (Vanguard) would serve you well. Out of those choices I would choose Hustler. They are built pretty well, and their overall designs haven't changed that much in years.

Being the person that I am, I would prefer a Toro or an Exmark. Both of these in my opinion are the best commercial mowers you can get.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Needing a new mower. My local dealer options are

Cub Cadet
Kubota
Hustler
BigDog

I can go out of state (KY) to get other brands but trying to keep in the neighborhood (Southern Indiana).

Need to know if there are any known issues with the Z-Force Commercial 48" with the Kohler engine. I'm possibly going to look at getting the TANK since I'm only a about 1500 difference from the Zforce.

I'll be cutting my 1.1 acre lot with the possibilities of picking up a few lawns (to help pay for the mower).

I've asked others where I work and they say "Dont get a Cub, they are not what they used to be". That could be good or bad. I'm not a lawn pro (yet) and have no history of buying quality mowers. Always got the Lowe's versions.

Thanks,

Dave.

There's nothing wrong with cub cadet mowers. I used the residential models 2008 z-Force and their 2010 ZF commercially for 4 years with the Kohler 20 and 22hp courage engines, had a little more than 700 hours on each and never had any issues. If that's your choice I wouldn't be afraid to by one. I believe the 48" has the Kohler Confident engine and it's a good engine from what I've heard.

Issue I have is IMO for the money your spending you could buy a better mower than the CC. Like Arwing64 I would prefer a Toro or an Exmark. Both of these in my opinion are the best commercial mowers you can get. I just purchased a Toro Z-Master 2000 48" with a FX 20.5 Hp and 3400 drives for $7100.00 out the door with their $500 of deals their offering. It's a better built mower than the CC and most others IMO.

Out of the mowers you have listed again I agree with Arwing 64 I'd go with Hustler.