Murray with Briggs and Stratton engine model 12H887-2314-B1 wont run

bmwallie

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Murray with Briggs and Stratton engine model 12H887-2314-B1 wont run
It won't stay running. It will start, then in about 2 seconds it will die. After priming 6 times it will start again then just die as usual. I did take the carb apart and cleaned it. I also took the engine apart and inspected it, I did find that 2 of the piston rings were broken. I replaced those but I am still having the same results. Anybody know what could be the problem?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the Forum...
from your description it has to be fuel/carb related...
This model has a float bowl ... is it allowing fuel to the carb
Is the main jet open and allowing fuel to pass?
There is also an automatic choke on it is it working...
Problem almost has to be at the carb... :smile:KennyV

bmwallie

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is what I was thiniing, that it would most likely be fuel problem.
I don't think it is the carb. Just in case I did take the carb completely apart and cleaned the entire carb with BERKEBILLE Instant GUM CUTTER. Made sure none of the holes were clogged. They appear to all be flowing smoothly. I also double checked the flywheel and magneto spacing, that appears to be coorect, and I am also getting spark. Could it be possible that motor oil is leaking into the cylinder, which could possibly be making it too thick to ignite and give me continuous combustion? And I do believe the choke is working. After 3 pulls it will start and attempt to run but wont stay running.

And when I had the engine apart the is a small lever like arm inside the engine, would that be the govenour? And where should it be set at inside the engine?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello, I have moved your post to the Murray Forum.

Thanks for joining LawnMowerForum!!!

jross

Threads
Is there a rubber fuel line between the tank and the carb? Could be thefuel line is separating internally and blocking fuel flow.