Does anybody here enjoy traveling?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I will answer a broad, "NO" on my part...can elaborate in depth but I am trying to limit how much I stare at the screen...you should all know why by now. Next apppointment with my doctor is in two weeks.

Slater

Threads
I will answer a broad, "NO" on my part...can elaborate in depth but I am trying to limit how much I stare at the screen...you should all know why by now. Next apppointment with my doctor is in two weeks.

That is a very broad question :biggrin: Travel for work, travel for vacation, etc. I enjoy travel for the most part, but the saying is true, there is no place like home. After being away for a week, I am always ready to get back to my wife!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a very broad question :biggrin: Travel for work, travel for vacation, etc. I enjoy travel for the most part, but the saying is true, there is no place like home. After being away for a week, I am always ready to get back to my wife!

Okay, lets limit it to "vacation"....

Slater

Threads
Okay, lets limit it to "vacation"....

Well my answer may be way different than most because when I go on vacation its only my wife and I, no kids :biggrin: So if we can fly I enjoy it, but I don't enjoy driving everywhere. Did take a motorcycle trip a few summers ago with my dad and two brothers and that was a lot of fun even with all the driving :thumbsup:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
As for me, it seems inane to spend four days driving 75 mph to Florida and back, to spend a week in an overpriced condo ad sit on the balcony and watch the water. Makes no sense to me to pile up 2500 miles on a car going someplace to "relax". When I am not home I miss all my things and ESPECIALLY my four beloved boys, and I worry about them the whole time I am away. My wife loves to travel, she isn't the one who has to do everything involved in going away.

I hate to fly (expensive, cramped, risky, at the mercy of strangers) and hate to drive (expensive, cramped, boring, at the mercy of reckless other fools on the roads). We have gone to Florida many times, on cruises out of Miami about 8 times, traveled to other countries during the cruises but for the most part it's not fun to me. There is NOTHING, repeat NOTHING, out there that I need to see, or want to see. For the most part when I am away I get screamingly bored not being able to do the things I want to do.

Expensive lodging, overpriced meals, rude crowds, $4 a gallon gas, cramped airline seats, tourist traps intended to rip you off...I will NEVER understand why ANYBODY enjoys traveling. You spend all that time getting ready and going someplace, then when it's over you spend all that time unpacking and scrambling around trying to catch up on what you missed.

Well, I DO enjoy taking our motorhome out within Michigan, because I can take my things along and also my boys...but even after a week I miss home. There is NO PLACE I would rather be than home. People tell me, "you don't know what you are missing", yeah right.

That's how I feel and I wanted to pass it along.

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like cruises, thats my kind of vacation.:biggrin: No driving or cooking, just drive to airport, fly, get shuttled to boat, cruise and fill your belly, shuttle to airport, fly, drive home. :laughing:

Last edited:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Never really had a hankerin' to travel. Me and a buddy went to Michigan, to see the Henry Ford Museum. That was a cool trip. Went to North Carolina with another buddy to help his wife's aunt move. Saw Washington DC a couple times. Live about an hour from Niagra Falls. I'd like to see NYC someday - probably drive till I can take an Amtrak into it - just to say I've been there.

But, with restrictions and security as it is, I'll never venture out of the US again, most likely (although Canada is the closest I've come to being 'outside the US'). :frown: Would've liked to take a cruise or go to Europe, but I'll never be able to afford it. So, I realize my stature in life and just am happy with home.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
About 4 years ago many of the family members flew to Cancun. Mexico, to attend a wedding for the youngest girl in the extended family. The flight wasn't too long, there were no delays, we pretty much enjoyed the place we stayed at, but it was so flipping HOT as the day went along there wasn't much we could do outside.

I will say ONE really positive thing about traveling...visiting other countries certainly makes you appreciate how well off we are here. Twall, your mobile home may not be fancy by some people's standards here, but compared to the packing crate and sheet metal hovels we saw all over Mexico, your home would be very fancy. Ours, large and remodeled, would be considered a palace by most of the citizens there. Hmmm, maybe we need to visit another really poor country, to make me appreciate how well off I am...:rolleyes:

Maybe I should reveal this...what I dislike about traveling mainly is all the preparations you go thru then all the time you spend getting there, and back, and catching up when you get back. Maybe if someone ever invents a way to magically transport you thru time and space, and you arrive and return from your destination in an eyeblink, that would make me enjoy travel more. Never will know, however.

Twall, found it interesting you visited the Henry Ford Museum...I am a car nut, would love to return there again, last time I went was back about 1967....:laughing:..but wife has no interest in cars.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD -

I find it interesting that I never enjoyed a single trip I took, while I was on the trip (except what I describe below). But, itn retrospect, I cherish what I remember. I only really like trips in retrospect. I feel uprooted the whole time I am actually on the trip.

I really did enjoy the.....what is it called......the village of old houses connected (financially) to the HFM.......Grenwich? Greenfield? What's the name of that village? I loved it. We ate at this old inn from the 1800's, disassemled, moved to this spot, and reassembled. We had pork loin rubbed in Rosemary and other spices, and had this soda you drank through a macaroni straw. It was the coolest place I ever ate at. There were no separate tables, just two loooooong tables, like picnic tables times 10 long............

poncho62

Threads
I enjoy traveling......when I can afford it.....mostly driving, taking our time and seeing the sites....Last winter, we took 8 days to drive from here (Ontario Canada) to Arizona.....seeing the sights along the way, spent 5 weeks in Az and then made our way home.....That was our 2nd time making that trip.......Have also taken summer trips to Yellowstone, Black Hills SD, Florida and trips to eastern Canada and US......