leaking gas tank

glenn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a L110 with a leaking gas tank. Is it possible for a homeowner to replace it or must it be taken to a service center?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a L110 with a leaking gas tank. Is it possible for a homeowner to replace it or must it be taken to a service center?

I would say it is a do it yourself project, do you know if it is leaking from the tank itself, or from the fuel lines? I am not sure as to the location of the fuel tank but odds are it is under the seat. Hmm, is it possible the tank cap has stripped threads or a bad or missing gasket so it will not seal properly? If it's leaking from the top of the tank that is a sign of a bad fuel filler seal. Let us know where the leak is coming from, if you can. And welcome to LMF.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads

Glenn ... the tank can be a booger to remove and replace, but with a little patience, it is not hard. just pay attention to what you have to remove to get to it... take pictures as you go ... will help out during reassembly...
depending on where on the tank it is leaking, you may be able to repair it...
another plus to taking pictures, you could post some here:thumbsup: to let us see how you are doing...
:smile:KennyV

glenn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say it is a do it yourself project, do you know if it is leaking from the tank itself, or from the fuel lines? I am not sure as to the location of the fuel tank but odds are it is under the seat. Hmm, is it possible the tank cap has stripped threads or a bad or missing gasket so it will not seal properly? If it's leaking from the top of the tank that is a sign of a bad fuel filler seal. Let us know where the leak is coming from, if you can. And welcome to LMF.

Thanks for feedback. It appears to be the tank since it is leaking from one side near where the metal support arm touches but until I get it off I will not know for sure. It is under the seat and I am trying to determine how to get it out. I may have to search online to see if there are instructions on the proper method.

LandN

Threads
I would say you should be able to do the job yourself...if its the tank,consider getting a new tank if the price is not sky high.its possible i would think, that the tank on the tractor could act like a plastic gas can in the garage (swell up and suck in) therefore a 'repair' may not be the answer(flex).. while you have the tank out maybe put cushion strips on the tanks metal holding brackets. if its possible for you, it might be a good idea to change the fuel line,to eliminate problems down the road. maybe even get a new gas cap AND gasket (thats why my jd wouldn't stay running) gasket was crushed....:biggrin:just an idea here:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
i would think, that the tank on the tractor could act like a plastic gas can in the garage (swell up and suck in) therefore a 'repair' may not be the answer(flex)..
while you have the tank out maybe put cushion strips on the tanks metal holding brackets. if its possible for you, it might be a good idea to change the fuel line,

The tank is vented to allow for expansion and contraction... also to allow for the fuel to be drawn out without crushing the tank... one cause of tank repairs failing is vibration another is using the wrong patch materials.. Depending on the price of a replacement and the location and type of break in the tank., repair can be a practical approach... In any case removal will be necessary...and is not as bad to do as it looks:thumbsup: ...

Your suggestion to use cushion strips on the hold down brackets is always a good idea, rubber or vinyl even cloth will help...
and like you said, always replace the fuel lines while you are there... you can buy it by the foot at any automotive supply... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would say you should be able to do the job yourself...if its the tank,consider getting a new tank if the price is not sky high.its possible i would think, that the tank on the tractor could act like a plastic gas can in the garage (swell up and suck in) therefore a 'repair' may not be the answer(flex).. while you have the tank out maybe put cushion strips on the tanks metal holding brackets. if its possible for you, it might be a good idea to change the fuel line,to eliminate problems down the road. maybe even get a new gas cap AND gasket (thats why my jd wouldn't stay running) gasket was crushed....:biggrin:just an idea here:thumbsup:

An ideal material to use for cushioning fuel tanks, etc is that tool box liner that is sold for use in tool boxes, the rubber type anyhow. It usually comes in rolls 18 inches wide and 72 inches long, is very flexible and you can easily double it up if you need more thickness.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Another handy rubber cushion for strap mounts is small vacuum tubing. slit with a razor length wise and pushed over the edge of the metal bands... It's usually the edges of hold downs that cut into things...
this also works well around the inside of holes where wires or lines have to pass through bulkheads. Use a dab of trim adhesive to glue it on...:smile:KennyV

glenn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Glenn ... the tank can be a booger to remove and replace, but with a little patience, it is not hard. just pay attention to what you have to remove to get to it... take pictures as you go ... will help out during reassembly...
depending on where on the tank it is leaking, you may be able to repair it...
another plus to taking pictures, you could post some here:thumbsup: to let us see how you are doing...
:smile:KennyV

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions. I got the tank out and saw that it was a crack on the bottom near where the metal support touches. I bought some epoxy and applied and it is holding. I got everything back together but have one small problem There is a button that must be a kill switch that I must have dislodged without seeing it. I can start the engine but I have to hold the button down so it must fit into a slot. I guess I could go to Home Depot and look on a new one unless someone can direct me. Thanks.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions. I got the tank out and saw that it was a crack on the bottom near where the metal support touches. I bought some epoxy and applied and it is holding. I got everything back together but have one small problem There is a button that must be a kill switch that I must have dislodged without seeing it. I can start the engine but I have to hold the button down so it must fit into a slot. I guess I could go to Home Depot and look on a new one unless someone can direct me. Thanks.

That is the operator present switch ... should be a place on the bottom of the seat or the system the seat attaches to the tractor... :smile:KennyV