Need a weed eater

Shaun

Threads
Well I have absolutely got to purchase a weed eater and soon. I have been looking at both the weedeater brand and the poulen brand. I am looking to spend less than about $150 any other suggestions?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I have absolutely got to purchase a weed eater and soon. I have been looking at both the weedeater brand and the poulen brand. I am looking to spend less than about $150 any other suggestions?

Man, by my standards a $150 weedeater is a major purchase, I buy the $65 ones. Both brands you mention are very good quality especially when you get to that price point. I think the majority of the Craftsman brand electric and gas weedeaters are made by Poulan and Weed Eater. The most I have ever spent on a Craftsman brand gas weedeater was about $100 and that was the most powerful one they sold. Do not buy one that is so heavy it will tire you out while you lug it around, that's why I began buying the $65 models, I carry one around a lot and to me portability trumps raw power. I almost never need full throttle on my 28cc engines anyhow.

jteuban

Threads
Go more expensive, so that it will last a long time. You can get a Husqvarna at Lowes for like $169.00. Trust me on this one I bought a cheapo and it did not last anytime. So after that I went out and bought myself a Stihl, its the best thing I have ever bought. But as you described you do not want to put that much into it. So Take my word for it, dont buy the cheap stuff. you will regreat it.Shop Husqvarna 28cc 2-Cycle Curved-Shaft Gas String Trimmer at Lowes.com

Heres a link to the trimmer. Its a good one, check it out Cheers.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go more expensive, so that it will last a long time. You can get a Husqvarna at Lowes for like $169.00. Trust me on this one I bought a cheapo and it did not last anytime. So after that I went out and bought myself a Stihl, its the best thing I have ever bought. But as you described you do not want to put that much into it. So Take my word for it, dont buy the cheap stuff. you will regreat it.Shop Husqvarna 28cc 2-Cycle Curved-Shaft Gas String Trimmer at Lowes.com

Heres a link to the trimmer. Its a good one, check it out Cheers.

I went to the link...ONE SEVENTY BUX for a 28cc model with a curved shaft !!!??? :eek: I paid $65 each for my last two Yard Machines trimmers with 28cc and a curved shaft. Sorry, I think that model you likenis WAY WAY overpriced. One of my MTD's is 6 years old now, the newer one is 5 but the starter engagement tab on the flywheel broke off and it wasn't worth fixing.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Shaun

You should judge your purchase of a Weed Trimmer on How and under what conditions you're going to use the Trimmer. If you buy a $69.00 trimmer don't expect a whole lot. That price could get you something that a home owner could get by with if used say once weekly when mowing and trimming a small yard.

The price you mentioned of $150 can get you in the ballpark for an Echo 16" with a 21.2cc engine that will hold 0.80 line for $179.00 from Home Depot and I believe they have a five year warranty although you'll have to take it to a dealer if ti every needs repair.
ECHO 16 in. 21.2 cc Gas Curved Shaft Trimmer - GT-225 at The Home Depot

Good Weed trimmers like the Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa and some others start at about $259 and go up to somewhere around $400 in price depending on make and model. I have always found that spending a little more money up front pays off in the long run.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shaun

You should judge your purchase of a Weed Trimmer on How and under what conditions you're going to use the Trimmer. If you buy a $69.00 trimmer don't expect a whole lot. That price could get you something that a home owner could get by with if used say once weekly when mowing and trimming a small yard.

The price you mentioned of $150 can get you in the ballpark for an Echo 16" with a 21.2cc engine that will hold 0.80 line for $179.00 from Home Depot and I believe they have a five year warranty although you'll have to take it to a dealer if ti every needs repair.
ECHO 16 in. 21.2 cc Gas Curved Shaft Trimmer - GT-225 at The Home Depot

Good Weed trimmers like the Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa and some others start at about $259 and go up to somewhere around $400 in price depending on make and model. I have always found that spending a little more money up front pays off in the long run.

I should have said that my $65 Yard Mans get heavily used on a 4 1/2 acre yard with LOTS of trees and buildings to trim around, and they hold up great except for that one flywheel tab that broke off. I cannot see spending over $100 for a trimmer unless you use it everyday on a large lot with high weeds and thick grass. I for one will NEVER buy another expensive trimmer, paying $100-$120 for the Craftsmans I used to buy , was a waste of money. My Yard Mans gave me better and longer service than the costlier ones did.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I should have said that my $65 Yard Mans get heavily used on a 4 1/2 acre yard with LOTS of trees and buildings to trim around, and they hold up great except for that one flywheel tab that broke off. I cannot see spending over $100 for a trimmer unless you use it everyday on a large lot with high weeds and thick grass. I for one will NEVER buy another expensive trimmer, paying $100-$120 for the Craftsmans I used to buy , was a waste of money. My Yard Mans gave me better and longer service than the costlier ones did.

As I said You should judge your purchase of a Weed Trimmer or any piece of equipment on How and under what conditions you're going to be using it or the Trimmer in this case.
The two things everyone who buys equipment should consider when buying equipment is Warranty and Service, when I see a 90 day guarantee on equipment it stays on the shelf because if the manufacturer doesn't believe in there own equipment why should I or the customer.

Yes you can buy the Homelite, Ryobi, Black and Decker, Poulan and even the Weedeater brand itself all new at Home Depot for less than $100 and cheaper than that if you visit the Refurbished section, it always has a good selection and you can do the same at many department stores including Sears. :thumbsup:

I use this rule of thumb or theory when buying equipment, if a piece of equipment cost more to have it fixed than what I paid for it then it's not worth having or it's a throw away to begin with. That's when you consider that most Dealer Bench Rates run between $45 and $65 hourly plus parts to fix equipment.
I say this not to be argumentative but as I've always been told you get what you pay for.
I guess my view point on buying good equipment come from using this stuff and the knowledge that down time cost money and that good equipment saves time and money.
I still think the Echo
ECHO 16 in. 21.2 cc Gas Curved Shaft Trimmer - GT-225 at The Home Depot is the way to go if you're a home owner

4jd318

Forum Newbie
Threads

We bought a hoffco, made in usa over 25 years ago and used it commercially 12 hours a day for many years and it still starts on first pull and has great power and is light.

jteuban

Threads
Sorry about that JDgreen, I always go for Stihl because I have a big property. They are expensive but they last a long time.