Gas tank

monica123

Threads
My husband's car won't take gas right now, it takes forever to put even $5 in it, if you go too fast it comes spitting back out. In the summer it works fine, this only happens in the Winter, what do you think it is? We have dumped a pile of gas line antifreeze in it as well.

brucesdeere

Threads
Try putting it in a warm place for a bit, maybe there is residual ice in the tank. Alternatively, your gas tank top may have collapsed, but that may not be the case where it only happens in the winter, nto summer.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a vent in the filler neck... sounds like something is blocking that vent tube... KennyV

monica123

Threads
Kenny, do you think maybe Ice would be built up in the vent? It would make sense that it would not go down if there was ice in there, wouldn't it? I am not sure gas line antifreeze would remove it from a vent hole either. I think I need to do some research.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
My husband's car won't take gas right now, it takes forever to put even $5 in it, if you go too fast it comes spitting back out. In the summer it works fine, this only happens in the Winter, what do you think it is? We have dumped a pile of gas line antifreeze in it as well.

Sounds like you have only had this problem during this winter...hmm I am wondering if maybe someone tried to siphon gas out of your tank and left part of their hose in the filler inlet....???

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kenny, do you think maybe Ice would be built up in the vent? It would make sense that it would not go down if there was ice in there, wouldn't it? I am not sure gas line antifreeze would remove it from a vent hole either. I think I need to do some research.

Hello monica,
It is possible that condensation is freezing there, but that would be very unusual.
The stuff you get as gas line antifreeze is alcohol, all the fuel you buy is already at least 10% alcohol, each & every gallon of gasoline has over 12 ounces in it, adding a little bit more will have no effect on anything.

I would think that ice, snow and/or road slush is building up under the wheel well and perhaps pinching off the vent line or the filler tube... check that area for missing inner fender liner or some such problem. :smile:KennyV