Oil out of breather/air filter Craftsman 917 push mower

RyanZ71

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Oil out of breather/air filter Craftsman 917 push mower
Greetings All: I did a quick search on here but was unable to turn up anything that I could use.

I have a 2000-2003 era Craftsman push-behind rear discharge mower
Specs:
Engine- WTPXS 1951BA I guess that is a Tecumeseh? 6.5HP or around there.
Mower Model: 917-377543

Has been a decent mower since getting it new except for the front drive axle snapping, both on the left and right side leaving me having to push the dang thing, I'll see about doing a welding repair job on it later on but good exercise for now, and the other issue was with the oil filler tube seal leaking which is simple enough to repair. However 2 years ago I started noticing oil coating or lightly dripping from the breather/air filter area. After taking it in for it's yearly tune-up I was told that the "engine is worn out and that the seals have started to leak" Yet the engine continues to run just fine, always starts easily and I don't notice any smoke out of the exhaust. Is what the tech told me true? Can it already be worn out, or is there something else causing oil to come out of the breather/filter?

Also- I've heard that it might be a good idea to run 15W40 oil in it rather than the SAE30. Your thoughts?

Thank you,

natenkiki2004

Threads
The oil leak issue is usually due to over-filling on the oil. Some engines you screw the dipstick back in, others you don't. Make sure the mower is level when filling.

As far as the type of oil, I have personally begun to switch to 15W40 Rotella. When hot, it flows perfectly fine. Common thought is that thicker oil will just rob power but if the equipment has adequate power then that's not an issue. A premium (HDEO) oil will stand up better and won't shear down as much. The 15W aspect will make it easier to start and get the oil to places faster than straight 30 would. I've looked into 15W40 (again, an HDEO) quite a bit and it seems people run it for 100 hours in their equipment between changing. Also there's quite a few reports of professional/commercial users that strictly run 15W40 for harsh conditions & abuse. Just my 2 cents from a ton of google searches. I've not done UOA or broken down an engine after testing various oils.

possum

Threads
Unless the oil is just terrible run it and stop your worry. Keep the engine as clean as easily possible and make sure it is not overfull. Old engines wear out. But alot of them run worn out for many many years.