New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

MowerMike

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
I do have a parts list, and I also hope Lowes will carry at least spare blades. I'm pretty sure I will need blades at some point.

AFAIK, Lowe's has never carried spare blades for Greenworks mowers. This mower is unique in that there are different blades for each side of the mower, so it's even less likely that they will be readily available. Only recently was I able to find a replacement blade for a 16" Li-Ion Greenworks mower that has been on the market for over a year and is also used on a Ryobi branded mower. Even then, it was some obscure online web store, and not through Lowe's or some other big box store. So, like I said, be careful and the blades will last a long time, because finding replacements is going to be difficult. I also own this mower and I've used the parts list to search the internet for spares and come up empty.

MowerMike

Threads
Here's a video posted on the Lowe's website. They make no mention of the variable blade speed control to automatically adjust to grass conditions, which is what really makes this mower unique.

MowerMike

Threads
And another video that shows use of the grass catcher:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Used the mower today on my front yard. It is a fairly small yard with just a few obstacles. My wife did rake some leaves out from under some hedges for me to mow over.

It is very quiet, perhaps quieter than some vacuum cleaners (though i rarley hear a vacuum cleaner outdoors).

I think most people will use the height positions from 2-5, I suspect positions 3-4 and , perhaps, 5 will be my most likely range.

Given the dormant nature of the lawn plus the dried leaves I mowed over, it does seem mulching performance is adequate - at leas as good as my traditional mower. I never bag but may consider trying it with this mowe to add some mulched leaves to my compost tumbler next fall.

The machine got quite dusty. I think monitoring the inside of the battery chamber for a collection of debris would be a good idea.

I didn't do any scientific measurements, but my gut feeling is, 50-60 minutes of mowing is quite possible (with the 2 batteries supplied) and under ideal conditions more.

I wish the angle of the handle were more upright. Seems I'm too far back and my hand/arm position seems odd. I notice there is a way to change the length of the handle (don't recall seeing that in the manual) by shifting the upper handle clamps to a different pair of holes. I don't think i will like that position but will try it to see.

VERY easy to maneuver. seems very capable so far.

MowerMike

Threads
I wish the angle of the handle were more upright. Seems I'm too far back and my hand/arm position seems odd. I notice there is a way to change the length of the handle (don't recall seeing that in the manual) by shifting the upper handle clamps to a different pair of holes. I don't think i will like that position but will try it to see.

Moving the handle to the alternate set of holes will shorten the handle slightly and lower it slightly, but the change will be very small. I'm short (5'-3"), so I've got it set in the lower position.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Moving the handle to the alternate set of holes will shorten the handle slightly and lower it slightly, but the change will be very small. I'm short (5'-3"), so I've got it set in the lower position.

I may not like it then, though I'm by no means tall (5' 9")

I kinda feel I'm too far 'back' from the mower so, I will experiment. I haven't looked at the lower mechanism closely to see if it can be modified or shifted to a higher angle.

I suppose being a rear bagger, they just had to design it such that there was plenty of clearance for tall-ish folks to walk without stepping on the bag. I'm unlikely to regularly use the bag.

One other thing occurred to me. Charge time for a battery, is not much slower than cutting time. But a 'warm' battery directly pulled out of the mower must cool a little before charging so, if someone had a 3rd battery, I think you might be able to mow almost continuously, stopping only to swap batteries. One in the mower, the next one in the charger, one cooling-off. (assuming all batteries begin with a full charge) If you were stopping to empty the bag, maybe take a potty or snack/drink break occasionally, batteries would be charging the whole time.

MowerMike

Threads
I kinda feel I'm too far 'back' from the mower so, I will experiment. I haven't looked at the lower mechanism closely to see if it can be modified or shifted to a higher angle.

One other thing occurred to me. Charge time for a battery, is not much slower than cutting time. But a 'warm' battery directly pulled out of the mower must cool a little before charging so, if someone had a 3rd battery, I think you might be able to mow almost continuously, stopping only to swap batteries. One in the mower, the next one in the charger, one cooling-off. (assuming all batteries begin with a full charge) If you were stopping to empty the bag, maybe take a potty or snack/drink break occasionally, batteries would be charging the whole time.

You cannot modify the lower handle clamping mechanism that I can see. Also, while we're on the topic, avoid lifting the mower by the handle and especially don't pull it sideways. Only use it to push / pull the mower or to push down to lift the front wheels while turning. The attachment blocks to the mower body at the bottom of the handle are held in place by only two very small screws that thread directly into the plastic, and can easily strip out if you put any tension force on them.

According to Greenworks, it takes about 60 minutes to recharge a fully depleted 73 Wh battery and 120 minutes for the 146 Wh battery. I can mow my entire yard in less than 40 minutes using only the 146 Wh battery, and don't even bother inserting the 73 Wh battery.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
You cannot modify the lower handle clamping mechanism that I can see. Also, while we're on the topic, avoid lifting the mower by the handle and especially don't pull it sideways. Only use it to push / pull the mower or to push down to lift the front wheels while turning. The attachment blocks to the mower body at the bottom of the handle are held in place by only two very small screws that thread directly into the plastic, and can easily strip out if you put any tension force on them.

According to Greenworks, it takes about 60 minutes to recharge a fully depleted 73 Wh battery and 120 minutes for the 146 Wh battery. I can mow my entire yard in less than 40 minutes using only the 146 Wh battery, and don't even bother inserting the 73 Wh battery.

good to note on the lower mount! thanx

I DO think it's almost a perfect replacement for a small, push gas mower - again, form a single use. I hope reliability is good and parts become available. I need to keep this for years to justify the price.

just fyi, I did receive an email response from GW. They said the serial number is on the box.

OH, I complained in a post above about debris in the battery compartment. Evidently, the lids actually latch down. I never noticed and don't think that is mentioned in the manual either. One reviewer at Lowes said he filed some of the latch away so opening the lid is easier.

MowerMike

Threads
OH, I complained in a post above about debris in the battery compartment. Evidently, the lids actually latch down. I never noticed and don't think that is mentioned in the manual either. One reviewer at Lowes said he filed some of the latch away so opening the lid is easier.

That was me, and I was replying to another reviewer who complained about the same problem. :smile: