New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
  • / New Greenworks 20" twin blade Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower !
I'm not sure what error you are referring to. The instructions in my manual for the Gen 1 40V battery model 24102 seem to be correct.

The manual's instructions are for a combination On/Off/power-level switch. My 24282 has a separate On/Off switch( a rocker switch with the now ubiquitous I and 0 markings) located forward on the extreme top , forward-facing portion of the handle. After is is turned on, the rolling thumbwheel controls the power.

Even the drawing on the front of the manual is missing the switch. As well as every 'figure' inside the manual.

if you zoom in (Ctrl + on my FireFox browser) on this pic from a Canadian site, you can see the switch;

greenworks-g-max-40v-leaf-blower-m.jpg

but not at greenworkstools or Amazon. No big deal really, just indicative of inattention to detail.

MowerMike

Threads
The manual's instructions are for a combination On/Off/power-level switch. My 24282 has a separate On/Off switch( a rocker switch with the now ubiquitous I and 0 markings) located forward on the extreme top , forward-facing portion of the handle. After is is turned on, the rolling thumbwheel controls the power.

Even the drawing on the front of the manual is missing the switch. As well as every 'figure' inside the manual.

if you zoom in (Ctrl + on my FireFox browser) on this pic from a Canadian site, you can see the switch;

View attachment 15242

but not at greenworkstools or Amazon. No big deal really, just indicative of inattention to detail.

That's exactly how mine works. There's a single thumbwheel switch that serves both as an ON/OFF switch and speed control. So, they've taken the manual for mine and not bothered to revise it to be consistent with yours.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
That's exactly how mine works. There's a single thumbwheel switch that serves both as an ON/OFF switch and speed control. So, they've taken the manual for mine and not bothered to revise it to be consistent with yours.

that's how it seems. I wish it was like yours, the switch's location is a little awkward. A 'trigger' style switch would be the best for battery run-time. easier to turn the device off while walking to another area for work.

definitely feels like a design feature engineered by someone who has never used yard tools, or, hurriedly slapped on for regulatory reasons.

MowerMike

Threads
100 review mark reached on the Lowe's website store

These mowers have been selling like hotcakes at Lowe's, which is the only outlet for them in the USA. The 100 review mark was reached today, and they are mixed. 71 of 100 reviewers would recommend this product, whereas the remaining 29% would not. The main reasons for the negative reviews are initial quality defects such as failure to operate, broken key connector, defectively made plastic parts, short run time and weak plastic parts that break. The main reasons for the positive reviews are ease of use, light weight, good cutting power, good run times, short recharge times and quiet operation. The biggest drawback this product is bad quality control and poor customer service, and its biggest asset is advanced design at an affordable price.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Re: 100 review mark reached on the Lowe's website store

These mowers have been selling like hotcakes at Lowe's, which is the only outlet for them in the USA. The 100 review mark was reached today, and they are mixed. 71 of 100 reviewers would recommend this product, whereas the remaining 29% would not. The main reasons for the negative reviews are initial quality defects such as failure to operate, broken key connector, defectively made plastic parts, short run time and weak plastic parts that break. The main reasons for the positive reviews are ease of use, light weight, good cutting power, good run times, short recharge times and quiet operation. The biggest drawback this product is bad quality control and poor customer service, and its biggest asset is advanced design at an affordable price.

great summary.

I wonder where the returned units are going? Maybe CPOoutdoor.com ? or ??? I kinda wish i could get a re-furbed one, if it was cheap enough, to dig into. I could keep it for parts and maybe figure out a way to make a 'turbo' button to force it into high-speed operation.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Used the mower on my overgrown backyard. I missed mowing and got caught with about 4 days of rain, then waiting a coupla more days for a cooler Saturday morning. It did as well as my old gasser would have. Mulching suffered if I tried to mow too much 'mass' but, I just slowed down a little and/or overlapped more of the path.

ross77

Forum Newbie
Threads
After using this mower for about a month I'm giving it a B. Had they included two large batteries this would have been a home run. I can't finish my 1/4 acre lawn with the included batteries.

I've also noticed it has been missing blades of grass so I have to mow a little slower. I would assume this is contributing to the batteries running out before I can finish.

Could the blades already be dull or is it due to the lower suction power of two small blades? It must not be able to pull up the grass to get cut as well as a gas mower.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
After using this mower for about a month I'm giving it a B. Had they included two large batteries this would have been a home run. I can't finish my 1/4 acre lawn with the included batteries.

I've also noticed it has been missing blades of grass so I have to mow a little slower. I would assume this is contributing to the batteries running out before I can finish.

Could the blades already be dull or is it due to the lower suction power of two small blades? It must not be able to pull up the grass to get cut as well as a gas mower.

I had stragglers with my old gasser, which I think were due to the weight on the wheels. The stragglers with this GW mower, seem to be more random so, yeah, I think it's low suction. Or possibly due to more walking around I do pre-mow to clear sticks away. Overall, about the same number of uncut blades I'd say.

I did sharpen the blades on my mower but, not sure it made a huge difference.

cwlaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
We recently bought our first house and after researching our options for electric mowers decided on the dual blade greenworks mower. It worked fine the first few times and then it just died in the middle of mowing the lawn. My first thought was that I had drained the battery so I grabbed the second battery that had been on the charging cradle. It showed a full charge so I put it in the lawnmower and put the other battery on the cradle (it still showed 2 green lights worth of charge). Nothing. I had used the smaller battery alone before so I knew it could work, but nothing. I took it back to Lowes and they gave me a replacement. It worked fine the first couple of times but then sat in my garage for about 10 days due to rainy weather making grass cutting impractical. Went to turn it on... nothing. Both batteries fully charged...nothing.

I noticed that I had left the key in when I got the lawn mower out so my first thought was that perhaps it does more than just close a circuit and there was some internal battery that I had drained. This wouldn't explain how the first lawnmower died as it had died in the middle of operation, but seemed plausible for this scenario. I opened up the lawnmower and there doesn't appear to be any sort of internal battery. There is a small panel with a couple of capacitors on it, but no indication that they are there for anything more than power conditioning.

The starter pull is activating the mechanism correctly, the issue appears to be in the electric board somewhere. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do about this would be greatly appreciated. If I wind up returning it again I won't be getting a third, I'll just abandon my hope of a quieter, more environmental lawn mower, and get myself a gas mower.

MowerMike

Threads
We recently bought our first house and after researching our options for electric mowers decided on the dual blade greenworks mower. It worked fine the first few times and then it just died in the middle of mowing the lawn. My first thought was that I had drained the battery so I grabbed the second battery that had been on the charging cradle. It showed a full charge so I put it in the lawnmower and put the other battery on the cradle (it still showed 2 green lights worth of charge). Nothing. I had used the smaller battery alone before so I knew it could work, but nothing. I took it back to Lowes and they gave me a replacement. It worked fine the first couple of times but then sat in my garage for about 10 days due to rainy weather making grass cutting impractical. Went to turn it on... nothing. Both batteries fully charged...nothing.

I noticed that I had left the key in when I got the lawn mower out so my first thought was that perhaps it does more than just close a circuit and there was some internal battery that I had drained. This wouldn't explain how the first lawnmower died as it had died in the middle of operation, but seemed plausible for this scenario. I opened up the lawnmower and there doesn't appear to be any sort of internal battery. There is a small panel with a couple of capacitors on it, but no indication that they are there for anything more than power conditioning.

The starter pull is activating the mechanism correctly, the issue appears to be in the electric board somewhere. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do about this would be greatly appreciated. If I wind up returning it again I won't be getting a third, I'll just abandon my hope of a quieter, more environmental lawn mower, and get myself a gas mower.

The key is just a jumper that acts as a second safety switch. Check it with an ohmmeter to make sure it has continuity (zero resistance). Also, check continuity throughout the internal wiring and look for loose connections. Also, did you try the battery in both compartments ? It could be a blown capacitor on the power board or the internal power switch may be broken.