How to remove rusty blade bolt?

rekees

Threads
Having trouble removing one of the blades under the mower deck. Take the deck off the mower and place it on work horses upside down for easy access. The bolt holding the blade will not budge. Have put Liquid Wrench on the bolt and let it soak overnight then tried the largest wrench I have (12" adjustable). Have even extended the wrench for more leverage using a steel pipe but that bolt just laughs at me. Any suggestions?

dale raquet

Forum Newbie
Threads
Having trouble removing one of the blades under the mower deck. Take the deck off the mower and place it on work horses upside down for easy access. The bolt holding the blade will not budge. Have put Liquid Wrench on the bolt and let it soak overnight then tried the largest wrench I have (12" adjustable). Have even extended the wrench for more leverage using a steel pipe but that bolt just laughs at me. Any suggestions?

sometimes you have to use a impact wrench

Nimblewill

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you don't have a impact wrench, you might try a socket with a long handle, hit the handle with with a hammer or something heavy. If that does not work, try heating the part the bolt screws into with a propane torch. Don't give up!

rekees

Threads
Don't have impact wrench but will investigate getting one. Will also try the propane method. Thanks

millers1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try going the other direction.. you may not be able to *see* any movement but if it breaks the rust a bit, it'll help. Then load it up with penetrating oil again and come back in an hour.. try loosening. Just be careful. Breaking it off will add to your fun..

billkater

Threads
Just a thought, it may be a reverse thread bolt. Are you sure your going the right direction?

stevestud99

Forum Newbie
Threads
ive used a torch before to heat them up usually worked for me

rekees

Threads
Breaking it off will add to your fun..

Oh yeah that would be more "fun" than a barrel of monkeys. :smile: My main concern is rounding the bolt head corners. That would also be "fun". :eek:

Just a thought, it may be a reverse thread bolt. Are you sure your going the right direction?

Assume it's the standard counter-clockwise direction since the other 2 blades are that way.

em14

Threads

I'm not had good luck with Liquid Wrench but PB Blaster has not let me down.
Leo

jimbo64

Threads
I'm not had good luck with Liquid Wrench but PB Blaster has not let me down.
Leo

get rid of the crecent wrench , it will round the head of the bolt, use a good 6 pt socket with a breaker bar
pb blaster is good as is kroll products