Old craftsman

buntrock

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a couple of old sears mowers they are oldies but still running strong!

rekees

Threads
I have a Craftsman 12-HP a Craftsman 18-HP both from 1990. Both still run fine but it seems each year more parts need to be replaced.

fordism1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1969 Sears Custom 10XL. It has the Original Tecumseh 10HP engine still running strong. It no longer cuts grass because the gear box on the deck gave out. But it has a "Snow Blade" that is great for manicuring my drive and pushing dirt all over the place. It is really a beast for its size and small HP engine.

RockHound

Threads
I had two Craftsman mowers that were pieces of junk. I had the service man out at least every month. We got to be on a first name basis after so many trips. The belts slipped constantly and the pulley would slip out of adjustment constantly. I couldn't even get the yard completely mown. I had the first one and thought it was just a fluke because I really like the Sears brand. But as far as I'm concerned, the mowers are not something I would buy again.

fastback

Threads
I have three older Craftsman tractors two of which are running very well. I think when your talking about any tractor you need to concider the models. I am sure that some are not as good as others. When I purchas a tractor I always want a garden tractor vers a lawn. The garden tactor will have heavier accesories such as rims, transaxels, batterys, axels etc., and this will tipcally make the difference on how long they will last. Yes, as they age you can expect to replace more parts, but this is not what I would consider a problem. Like anything if you want them to work and run properly you must make the replacemnets. However, one thing I have always tried to do is make my own replacement part when possible. An example is the steering drag link on my "96" GT, the original has threaded ball studs and though normal wear they fall out. One quick fix is to weld a washer in place to hold the ball in the shaft. After doing this a few times and not satified with the amount of play I found a type of ball joint from MSC that I thought would be acceptable. The original rod was shortend to allow for the extra length and then drilled and threaded to accept the new joint. This has worked out well and sould last the life of the tractor but if necessary a new joint can be purchased and replaced as needed. The other change from original which is probably not better but equal is to turn a new disk brake rotor. Of course you need to have the equipment tlo do this.

One other item that needs to be addressed in this vintage tractor is the steering wheel shaft. This has nylon bushings and once worn allows for too much steering play. In my case I expect that I'll need to fabicate a new shaft and insert either ball or bronze bearings. Any slop here will translate into too much freeplay in the steering wheel. I expect that the "89" Chraftsman II that I also have has the same design flaws since thay were both built by Roper.

These are a few thoughts regarding aging Craftsman tractors.

mcford

Forum Newbie
Threads
as a kid in the 70's/80's, we had an old self propelled craftsman walk behind. would love ot find a picture or find out more info on what mondel it was. i belileve it had a cast deck, mover deck was red, 3hp B&S engine and "handle bars" were white. the bag hung off to the side. it drove off the front wheels and it was a "rocker" type engage/disengage system. probably from the late 60's early 70's?
Thanks
NEWBIE Mike