End of season clearance in mowers

Zeroturn

Threads
I was at Sear's yesterday and they had a lot of their riders on clearance. I wish I needed a new one, I always thought they just put them away for the next year but I guess they try to sell them.

What do they do with the ones they don't sell? Do they mark them down the next season?

Rawlings

Threads
I would say that if they are discontinuing the model or brand then any left unsold will be passed on to another seller. (The same way dollar stores fill their shelves.) Otherwise they will likely roll them out again next season, back to regular price too :).

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
A lot of things that do not 'close out sell', get moved to Liquidators...
Holding inventory over is generally a tax liability, PLUS
There is always going to be a "NEW and Improved" next years model...
:smile:KennyV

Georgian

Threads
I would think that keeping a large inventory of unsold riding mowers would be extremely expensive. Where do you store them? Usually retail stores like to get their stock through their warehouse very quickly. Tying a good deal of money up in stored inventory, especially mowers that are large, would be bad business.

But that is a great question. Stores can't send riding mowers, or push mowers off to a dollar store! I can see them going to a liquidator, but who buys there? The general public doesn't go to those kind of stores for lawn mowers. Do they?:rolleyes:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I know that for one, MowersDirect buys overstock mowers from manufacturers and passes some savings along to their customers. (Note: we have no affiliation with MowersDirect). But not all manufacturers want to sell their equipment that way.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
(Note: we have no affiliation with MowersDirect).

They should be an advertiser here... along with the adds by Google.
There are a lot of folks on this site looking to buy... :smile:KennyV

Georgian

Threads
Thanks for the info on mowersdirect. I was afraid they would only be in the US, but they also ship to Canada. I live in Canada.

It's always nice to know that US suppers, which have a larger stock selection, do ship to Canada. I'll have a look at their website some more.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Keeping a large inventory of unsold riding mowers is something that Sears, Lowes, Home Depot and those places really don't do, they don't have the available space and they (mowers) aren't one of there top sellers. They're a pretty much what you see is what you get places. I would guess that it's basically like Rawlings stated if they don't sell them on end of the year clearance they will likely just leave them on the floor or roll them out again next season back to regular prices and sell the mowers they have before they re-stock and the general public will never know the difference.

Mean Machine

Threads
The bigger companies have stores nationwide, which means that even though where you live, mowers are a seasonal item coming to end of the season, in other warmer parts of the country where mowers are in demand year round, they can send what's overstocked in one store to a another store with greater demand.