Smart Drive Hand Controls - "paddle" style

crazyoldman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning!

Just bought my 2012 HRX217VKA yesterday and mowed my yard.

Pros: lots of power, lighter than i expected, good cutting /mulching
Cons: the "Smart Drive" is the dumbest design i have ever used on the mower. I have adjusted it but this setup is not easy to use when i have to mow around all my trees. i have 1/3 acre and over 25 spruces. (I miss my old lawnbow but it died after 15 yrs..)

Question: Has anyone tried to redo this setup? I'm thinking of tinkering with the paddle to be under the handle so that I can grip / control it with my fingers versus thumb or palm.

Thanks,

Crazy Old Man

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm hoping you know the Smart Drive control is adjustable?

Early versions were not, and customers complained, so the R&D guys redesigned the control with an adjuster to dial-in the position. A retrofit kit was made, and many installed. The bulk of customers who use it are happy with the adjustable control.

You may wish to tinker with the handlebar height; even a small change can make a big difference in comfort and control.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

crazyoldman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert, I'll try the handlebar height. I already dialed down the adjustment on the controls. I still think that the ergonomics is poor.

But we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Martin

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert, I'll try the handlebar height. I already dialed down the adjustment on the controls. I still think that the ergonomics is poor.

But we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Martin

Just to be sure, you bought the mower new? Did you get it at a Honda Dealer or Home Depot?

If bought at a Honda Dealer, you have an option to return the mower for another under the Honda Commitment program; your dealer will know the details. If bought at a Home Depot, they are usually good about returns.

I know the Smart Drive control isn't for everyone. The HRX217HYA has a more traditional speed control lever (narrow black) on the handlebar and a "range" or maximum speed lever (orange) on the side. It's a bit more cost than the Smart Drive, but might be something to consider. FYI.

attachment.php

-Robert@Honda

Attachments

• hrx 217 hya handlebar close-up.png
    hrx 217 hya handlebar close-up.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 258

crazyoldman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, i think the mower I bought was too expensive as it is, but I do like the power and muching. So no I'm not going to return it. Will live with it; I'm a bit mechanical so I have some ideas of making it easier to operate.

Won't be the first time I've modified a purchase.

Thinking of putting the control on the bottom so that i can use my fingers to pull the paddle in. Its a shame that Honda came up with this setup - really not a natural grip. I am suprized that they havent changed it. Saw a lot of internet reviews about this setup so from a consumer point of view it is deterring traffic.

The dealer wanted to sell me the YKA but I have a budget to live with.

Here is why i selected this model. 1st, it was the 2nd lightest model of etiher 216 or 217 series (89 lbs.) I was not interested in the blade brake. I also looked underneath and didnt like all the extra hardware and springs for the blade brake so that was out. What i dont understand is that if the hydrostatic tranny is so good, why is Smart Drive on all the models except the top of the line?

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Like I said, i plan to modify this setup if I can.

Regards,

Martin

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
What i dont understand is that if the hydrostatic tranny is so good, why is Smart Drive on all the models except the top of the line?

The hydrostatic transmission is more costly to manufacture and has more parts ($) for its controls. The Smart Drive offers the variable speed feature (usually only found on a hydrostatic model) that could allow a mower to offered at a better price point.

Yes, there are a lot of people who don't like the paddle-style control (I am one of them) and prefer the traditional levers and that's why the hydrostatic model is still offered.

-Robert@Honda

Scott1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 14 year old Toro and I love that I can fine tune the speed by releasing the clutch bar.

I am seriously looking at a new mower with the Smart Drive. Can one truly control the speed equally well with the Honda Smart Drive. I have not tried it myself and want to avoid a purchase I need to return.

Thanks.

crazyoldman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My recommendation is this: buy another mower with a Honda engine but better hand controls. Ihad to sell a nice Troy pushmower with a Honda Engine from Lowes. Loved the light weight but my knees could not hold up to the exertion of pushing.:thumbdown:

The Honda is well built but get it only if you have strong hands / thumbs and no arthritis. It helps if your lawn is mostly grass (straight mowing without a lot of stopping and getting around bushes / trees).

My lawn has over 20 spruce trees, 3 oak and 1 maple plus a lot of beds around the house with bushes. So i have to slow down and fiddle with the Smart Controls to get around trees and bushes.

I plan to keep the mower and live with the shortcomings of the Smart Drive Hand Controls...

Martin

Scott1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Martin,

Thank you very much for the information. If I may ask you, does the Honda Smart Drive allow you to move the bar down just a slight amount so as to allow for a slower speed. In essence, is the bar allow proportional speed or is the dial the only way to adjust the speed.

What I love about my old toro is as i release the bar, it would allow the belt to slip a bit so I could get a very slow speed around corners and edges. Then I can fully depress for full speed.

I have yet to see a place where I can try before I buy. No test drives at least that I can find.

Thanks again Martin.

-Scott

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have yet to see a place where I can try before I buy. No test drives at least that I can find.

-Scott

Here's a link where you can find all the dealers in your area; I'm confident one of them has a Honda mower w/SmartDrive you can test:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/dealer-locator

-Robert@Honda