Is Craftsman worth it?

Hoss

Threads
Their tools are good, I have a bunch of those. But as far as their power equipment like mowers, I wouldn't have a clue. I've stuck with MTD and J.D. all my life.

monica123

Threads
My husband has tools but as far as mowers go we have 3 non working Briggs and Straton mowers that we cannot get to work, he was hoping to take 3 and be able to make 1 work, so far, not so much!

adan

Threads
My husband swears by Craftsman tools, including the mowers. However, you can't purchase the parts from anywhere but them and after a while, they are timed out -- like the mower we have. We can't buy a starter or blades. We tried ordering them, but they're no longer stocked.

I find this unfortunate. They have a "Tough Smart Lifelong" (empahsis mine) tag line in their website. Now this comment gives me an impression they're not delivering on that promise.

briggs

Threads
you can get parts for them on line or your local small engine shop ....

Kevin_In_VA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well considering that I only paid $100 (used of course) for my 2005 Craftsman LT1000 17.5HP B&S, 6-Speed, 42-inch with rear-bagger, and the worst problem I've ever had is running out of gas, I'd say it was definitely worth it.

briggs

Threads
Well considering that I only paid $100 (used of course) for my 2005 Craftsman LT1000 17.5HP B&S, 6-Speed, 42-inch with rear-bagger, and the worst problem I've ever had is running out of gas, I'd say it was definitely worth it.

I do agree there i paid $60 for my 94 craftsman with a 12hp gold series brigs 6speed 43 inch deck ...works like a dream :thumbsup:

MowTown

Threads
I swear by this brand. A couple years ago I went out to my shed and flipped when I saw six rats. I grabbed the closest "weapon" a Craftsman long handled spade) and did a number on them. On the last rat, the handle busted. They made good on the life time guarantee, no questions asked!

triniphen

Threads
Craftsman mowers are as good as any other non-commercial in their price range. Branded mowers are made by a handful of manufacturers. Just look at how the frames and decks are constructed. Same front axle, frame and deck, and some flavor of peerless transaxle. Most are different colored clones with slightly different options in cutting width and HP. Find the best deal for you $, and dont forget about refurbished units.

I got my 17hp/38in rider last year for $620 including tax versus 1200 new. It came with the full warranty. I couldn't find anything comparable in my area to that except a 12hp/38 at tractor supply

Hunt the sears site for refurbished units, pop in you zip code and see whats available in you area Sears stores.

Sears Outlet: Discount Appliances at 20-60% off Regular Retail Prices

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I really think they are the best. I mean, it's a great brand. All of their products are made really nicely. I trust anything from the brand. I swear by it.