Smart Drive Hand Controls - "paddle" style

crazyoldman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert has a good idea - test the Smart Drive.

RE your questions. The Smart Drive is adjustable in 2 ways: 1) you can reduce the speed of the self propel with the dial in the bottom. 2) you can also rotate / move the Smart Drive up or down the handle. But you still have to use your thumbs or palm to push down on the paddle to move the mower.

Your old Toro worked just like my old Lawnboy self propelled mower and yep I really liked that feature of slipping the belt via letting go of the bar. It was really easy to mow with that Lawnboy. Lightweight, simple and I could control it with just my right hand.

The Honda with its weight (89 lbs) requires both hands when mowing around trees to avoid branches. You can mow with one hand in the straightways. Again, the setup is not natural. The Toro you use your fingers to grip the handle and squeeze the belt drive bar; the Smart Drive (Dumb Drive) requires you to push down with your thumb or palm while gripping the kill bar.:wink:

DUMB DUMB. :thumbdown:

I'm ordering Arnold Swarzennegger "Hercules Grip" hand grip exercise springs.:laughing:

But dont take my word for it; test the mowers. If you have the $$, get the top of the line $699 with hydrostatic tranny and blade brake.

Scott1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for all of the info "crazyoldman"

-Scott

stygz

Threads
Interesting thread. I have been looking at the new Honda HRX mowers. It looks like the smart drive is more natural than the Hydro models. From the pics it seems to be a far reach to the drive engagement bar for modulating speeds. What do you think? Currently I have a lawn boy with personal pace. I do not have a Honda dealer close by so I would have to go to home depot. My local Home depot only stocks the HRX with smart drive. I would have to order the hydro model. I wish they had a hydro model to get my hands on to see how it feels. I guess I could just buy they hydro model and if I dont like it I could return it.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I could just buy they hydro model and if I dont like it I could return it.

Home Depot usually offers a clean, money-back return policy, but double-check on special-order models.

All other independent Honda dealers typically participate in the Honda Commitment program; this allows you to buy any Honda mower and return it in 30 days or less with full credit toward any other Honda model. Please confirm details with your specific dealer BEFORE you buy.

If you happen to be in the Northside Atlanta area, I might be able to arrange a test drive at our HQ building off Windward Parkway in Alpharetta....let me know.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

stygz

Threads
Thanks for the offer!

I am not sure the Hydro trans is really needed for my use. I dont have any hills. Just going around mulch beds and other than that just a 7000 sqft smooth golf course type lawn. If the belt drive system/smart drive is built as good as the Toro Personal Pace I will be doing good. Going to home depot to check out the feel of smart drive paddles this weekend.

xp14629

Threads
It may be a pain but the Honda system is words better than toro's personal pace junk.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the offer!

I am not sure the Hydro trans is really needed for my use. I dont have any hills. Just going around mulch beds and other than that just a 7000 sqft smooth golf course type lawn. If the belt drive system/smart drive is built as good as the Toro Personal Pace I will be doing good. Going to home depot to check out the feel of smart drive paddles this weekend.

As you may have discovered reading comments online, there can be some strong opinions about the SmartDrive control; many like it, and find the adjustable angle of the control just fine, others don't like having to push down on it while holding the blade control lever.

The Cruise Control (hydrostatic drive) is a more traditional design, dating back at least 20+ years. I'll have to say, I've never run into anyone with a bad word to say about it. After 5-10 minutes of use, most folks are quite happy.

So while your mowing conditions might not justify the added expense of a Cruise Control, it might be a better fit-and-feel, ergonomic fit for you. That's not to say SmartDrive will not be, but you'll doing the right thing by going for a test drive and experience it for yourself.

FYI, the higher cost of Cruise Controls models is directly related to the cost. The additional levers, cables, and more expensive-to-manufacture transmission all are relative. The SmartDrive has simpler controls, fewer parts, and a lower-cost-to-manufacture transmission. Of course, all models have the same warranty coverage, so just because one costs less does not mean it is of lower quality.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

stygz

Threads
I have found only one review that was so-so on the cruise control on Home depot reviews. BTW there is over 180 reviews and it gets a 5 our of 5 rating. Surprised there is only $100 difference in price to get hydrostatic trans.

crazyoldman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well forum readers, it pays to check out what others say. I do compliment the quailty and reputation of the Honda mowers.

Robert had the best advice - test mow them.

I'm near 60 yrs old and my all time favorite mowers were the 2 following for different reasons:

#1 - Pushmower - Toro with the Kawasaki 2 stroke motor circa 1980's. That mower used 50:1 fuel mix and never gave me any problems. Loved that mower! Sold it after about 12 yrs for my parents because it was a side discharge and I wanted to get a mulcher mower.

#2 Self Propelled Lawn Boy (Silver ?). Lightweight, easy to use. It was used by my sons for mowing about 15 yrs ago. Finally the Carb went kaput and I had already fixed the drive train. Just wore out. Best mower ever for my yard with lots of trees. About 1/3 acre lot.

Anyway, I do wish for lighter weight self propelled mowers. It all comes down to preferences. FYI, I am physically fit ~ my hands and thumbs are in great shape. Can do 30 pushups right now! (My boy is a Marine)..

Martin

BigRed

Forum Newbie
Threads
First post here, so hello to all. I bought an HRX217HXA when my hand me down John Deere self propelled gave up the ghost last season. The Deere was a great mower, just heavy and cumbersome on slopes. The deck was cracking, it needed new drive wheels once a season, and just wasn't economical to maintain. The Honda has been a great mower thus far. Lighter and more maneuverable, great quality cut, and better on fuel than the Deere. My biggest complaint is that it stopped running the second time I used it. I'm a mechanic by trade, so I verified that it was getting fuel and had spark, but almost no compression. I carried to my local dealer and they had it back to me in a week. Turns out that it had a stuck valve, which was fixed under warranty. Aside from that, I felt that it wasn't running to its full potential, and after adjusting the throttle cable a bit it hardly bogs when the blades are engaged, and cuts thick, wet grass without a hint of strain. The cruise control system is great, and after reading this thread I am all the more pleased with spending the extra cash for the top tier mower. My only concern now is longevity, which I hope will not be an issue given Honda's reputation.

On a side note, have there been any issues with the timing belts on these motors? Is there a service interval on them?