Shop tricks and tips

woodfar

Threads
Tip for removing rusted parts. Mix equal parts ATF and acetone in a spray bottle. Better than any product you get at the hardware. I use this when working on old tractors that have sat in the weather for many years.

benski

Threads
Tip for removing rusted parts. Mix equal parts ATF and acetone in a spray bottle. Better than any product you get at the hardware. I use this when working on old tractors that have sat in the weather for many years.

I read this tip earlier elsewhere here in the forums. It works like a darn!:biggrin:

benski

Threads
Another one. If you are painting something like an engine block, or some other piece that you don't want to get paint on machined surfaces, take a thin film of grease and apply it to those area that you don't want the paint to adhere to. Paint your project, let it all dry very well, and then take a rag with acetone, brake cleaner, or your poison of choice and clean the grease and overspray off. Sometimes this is faster, easier, or works better than traditional blue masking tape.

benski

Threads
One uh "mower", I mean more.:ashamed::biggrin:If the time has come to change out the original 19XX's vintage fuel hose in your lawn chariot, and the fuel line is routed under the vehicle's frame, you might give this a shot.
1. Disconnect your hose and drain as much gas out as practical.
2. Get the correct size hose barb for your hose; typically 1/4".
3. Push the old hose onto the new hose, using the hose bar to attach the two. Leave off any hose clamps.
4. Use the old hose to route the new hose by pulling it through. Sometimes changing direction, as in route from the tank to the carb or vice versa will work better, but I've had good luck 3 out of 3 times I've done it on my equipment. You may even want to take a little silicone spray to lube things up.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I used to use Vasoline . Great way to paint clean and stops over spray

benski

Threads
With all the junk I try to keep running, sometimes I don't remember how much oil a machine will take for a change. I'll use a pirated Pyrex measuring cup to fill things up, and then make a label or write on a cowling with permanent magic marker how many ounces of oil the machine takes. Saves a bunch of time on the next oil change. Certainly not rocket science here.:ashamed::biggrin:

benski

Threads
Aluminum foil is great for covering areas that you dont want paint on, especially things like wiring looms and other odd shaped areas. Watch out close to batteries, etc.:eek::biggrin::ashamed:

jamesslcx

Threads
benski you are just a mountain of information aint you?! Thanx for the tips!

Edwards saw service

Threads
Starting fluid is harsh on small engines especially two cycle because the chemicals in ether or starting fluid dry out the piston and cylinder which can wreck havoc over a long period of time. So to diagnose a machine instead of using starting fluid take gas mixed with two stroke oil and put it in a cheap spray bottle like a windex bottle. Then you've got your "starting fluid".

Edwards Saw Service in Glen Mills PA

Mini Motors

Threads
I don't know if this works first hand, but the mechanics sweared by it at a motorcycle shop I worked at, so... Try WD40 as a substitute for starting fluid.