briggs and stratton engine runs too fast when blades are engaged

rossiii

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / briggs and stratton engine runs too fast when blades are engaged
The last time I mowed the engine all of a sudden started running very very fast. The mower ran out of gas almost simultaneously. My husband replaced the fuel line after he discovered it was leaking. He felt that the reason the engine had run too fast was because it had been drawing too much air. The engine nows runs well and starts well until the blades are engaged and then it runs too fast and has to be throttled back. It also has odd high pitched sound. Does anyone out there have a clue as to what may be causing this?
Thank you!

chance123

Threads
What do you base that it is running too fast? It is normal for when you engage the blades for the governor to speed up the engine to compensate for the load that the blade engagement makes

Threads
Check the govenor return/ tension spring.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How is this lady supposed to know what and where the governor/tension return spring is???

rossiii

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you base that it is running too fast? It is normal for when you engage the blades for the governor to speed up the engine to compensate for the load that the blade engagement makes
That is a reasonable question. I have mowed with this mower for 8 years and know how it normally sounds. It is kind of hard to explain, I guess it just sounds different then it did before, higher pitched maybe, less powerful and faster. I have to run it just below where it is recommended to put the throttle when the blades are engaged, other wise it runs much faster when I engage the blades than it used to. It doesn't bog down though, when it hits higher grass but when I pull onto the gravel drive it seems like it takes a longer time for the engine to make the adjustment to not hitting any grass. Does that make any sense at all?:)

rossiii

Forum Newbie
Threads
How is this lady supposed to know what and where the governor/tension return spring is???

I appreciate your reply! :)

chance123

Threads
That is a reasonable question. I have mowed with this mower for 8 years and know how it normally sounds. It is kind of hard to explain, I guess it just sounds different then it did before, higher pitched maybe, less powerful and faster. I have to run it just below where it is recommended to put the throttle when the blades are engaged, other wise it runs much faster when I engage the blades than it used to. It doesn't bog down though, when it hits higher grass but when I pull onto the gravel drive it seems like it takes a longer time for the engine to make the adjustment to not hitting any grass. Does that make any sense at all?:)

Yes it does make sense. Many times it is a "different sound" that alerts of something has changed.
Have you checked your blades? The sound of blade problems can throw you for a loop.

Threads

Not all women are ignorant as some might believe.