New member with a question about my Black & Decker CMM1000

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / New member with a question about my Black & Decker CMM1000
This is not the only place I read about stuff. In the process of finding things for people on here I come across info on the stuff I'm looking up. I read and learn a lot of stuff from lots of sites. I don't normally post stuff from other sites but it is all easy to find. Just have to search.

primerbulb120

Threads
The charger is no longer available new. I couldn't even find a good used one on eBay. If the charger is broken, you will have to modify another charger to work with the mower.

howie832g

Forum Newbie
Threads
It would just take little longer to charge a 22Ah battery instead of the original 17Ah (read Ampere Hour for Ah, not mAH. It is a measure for the battery capacity - how much energy a battery can store/deliver).
So if the charger works, the batteries should be charged. If they aren't, it could be the charger itself that is at fault (assuming that the batteries that you just purchased are OK). As per this forum, this is rare but can happen. Any electronic part in the charger circuitry can fail over time. There is no know circuit diagram for the charger, it is sad that B&D does not release it, that would be so helpful in debugging.
There were many very interesting discussions on the CMM1000 managed by Mark Widmer on this forum, but there are becoming rarer in recent times since these CMM1000 are slowly going to mowers' heaven. Just wish somebody would still manufacture a 24V mower that is as sturdy as the CMM1000, instead of going to more expensive 36V or 48V models, and making the battery replacement prohibitive.

lancisti

Forum Newbie
Threads
It would just take little longer to charge a 22Ah battery instead of the original 17Ah (read Ampere Hour for Ah, not mAH. It is a measure for the battery capacity - how much energy a battery can store/deliver).
So if the charger works, the batteries should be charged. If they aren't, it could be the charger itself that is at fault (assuming that the batteries that you just purchased are OK). As per this forum, this is rare but can happen. Any electronic part in the charger circuitry can fail over time. There is no know circuit diagram for the charger, it is sad that B&D does not release it, that would be so helpful in debugging.
There were many very interesting discussions on the CMM1000 managed by Mark Widmer on this forum, but there are becoming rarer in recent times since these CMM1000 are slowly going to mowers' heaven. Just wish somebody would still manufacture a 24V mower that is as sturdy as the CMM1000, instead of going to more expensive 36V or 48V models, and making the battery replacement prohibitive.

Thanks for the reply, howie832g. And thanks for the correction on the Ah notation. Was putting mAh simply out of habit in dealing consumer electronics. Yeesh! :rolleyes: Anyway, after doing a voltage check on the charger output (works fine), it appears that indeed the charge circuit in the mower itself is kaput. :frown::frown: This is VERY disappointing, but I don't have the time or the motivation to take it down to that level to try and solve the problem, especially if there's no circuit diagram for the charge electronics. Sadly, it appears I'll have to throw in the towel and give my CMM1000 (and one of the last connections to my Dad) a fond RIP. Heck, maybe he'll mow a few lawns with it wherever he is! LOL! :wink:

Sooo, in wrapping up this saga, can anyone offer suggestions on a replacement mower that will equal or exceed the performance of my CMM1000 in mowing ability, load capacity (wet or long grass/weeds, etc.), durability, long term reliability (like my AWESOME CMM1000...16+ years with NO issues!!), and run time? I'd appreciate any and all input and your thoughts why re: any recommendations. Given that I'm a B & D fan, I'm leaning towards the CM2040 or the SPCM1936, but I am open to other manufacturers/designs. Thoughts from the collective??

Also, does anyone out there need a brand new pair of SigmasTek SP12-22HR (12V22AH/NB terminals) replacement SLA batteries (see pic) SigmasTek 12V22AH Battery.jpg? I just purchased the pair about a month ago. I paid $100 for the pair total with shipping from ReplacementUPSbattery.com. I'd be willing to part with them for $20 each, plus whatever the shipping cost would be to whoever would like them. They are brand new and have never been charged (by default, as a result of the aforementioned charge circuit failure in my CMM1000).

Thanks to *everyone* for all their input and suggestions up to this point. It's been very helpful. :biggrin::biggrin:

chrisrushlau

Forum Newbie
Threads
No I think you lost your batteries because the charger was dead.
From what I have read the charger acts like its fine even when it stops working.

You're telling him to get another charger and put the right tips on the wires so it can be plugged into the CMM1000? Would any 24v charger work? If you can substitute another charger, since the B&D charger #242901 is no longer available, why not just cut off the B&D male plug (it's got three leads, plus a shape, half round and half square, around each lead, that makes it the only one that will fit in the female port on the mower) from the failed charger and patch it onto the replacement charger?

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Be SUPER careful in battery selection as NiCad, NiMH and LiPo batteries require different chargers. I've seen battery packs in R/C airplanes explode when charged wrong, they will also catch fire if charged wrong too. LiPo's I believe are the most unstable and some R/C guys have resorted to charging them in fire proof containers (usually an old crock pot).

We've all seen news footage of cell phones bursting into flame in a guys pants and laptops catching fire in airline overhead storage compartments.

People have burned their houses down charging lawnmower batteries in their garage,,,be safe.

Changing the voltage of the battery pack or altering a charger in any way, is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

chrisrushlau

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Be SUPER ...

Changing the voltage of the battery pack or altering a charger in any way, is a recipe for disaster, IMO.

Regards

Jeff

I mow lawns for my landlord. I reported my online research results and he's already decided to buy a new mower. I assume he would look at things your way. Thank you very much. The one thing that had given me pause is taping up the previous, also died charger, I forget how that became necessary, and realizing there was a lot of circuitry inside it.

Mark Widmer

Threads
I would imagine that, by now, lancisti has either fixed the issue or gotten a new mower.

Mark

china_Twin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply, howie832g. And thanks for the correction on the Ah notation. Was putting mAh simply out of habit in dealing consumer electronics. Yeesh! :rolleyes: Anyway, after doing a voltage check on the charger output (works fine), it appears that indeed the charge circuit in the mower itself is kaput. :frown::frown: This is VERY disappointing, but I don't have the time or the motivation to take it down to that level to try and solve the problem, especially if there's no circuit diagram for the charge electronics. Sadly, it appears I'll have to throw in the towel and give my CMM1000 (and one of the last connections to my Dad) a fond RIP. Heck, maybe he'll mow a few lawns with it wherever he is! LOL! ?

Sooo, in wrapping up this saga, can anyone offer suggestions on a replacement mower that will equal or exceed the performance of my CMM1000 in mowing ability, load capacity (wet or long grass/weeds, etc.), durability, long term reliability (like my AWESOME CMM1000...16+ years with NO issues!!), and run time? I'd appreciate any and all input and your thoughts why re: any recommendations. Given that I'm a B & D fan, I'm leaning towards the CM2040 or the SPCM1936, but I am open to other manufacturers/designs. Thoughts from the collective??

Also, does anyone out there need a brand new pair of SigmasTek SP12-22HR (12V22AH/NB terminals) replacement SLA batteries (see pic) View attachment 28470? I just purchased the pair about a month ago. I paid $100 for the pair total with shipping from ReplacementUPSbattery.com. I'd be willing to part with them for $20 each, plus whatever the shipping cost would be to whoever would like them. They are brand new and have never been charged (by default, as a result of the aforementioned charge circuit failure in my CMM1000).

Thanks to *everyone* for all their input and suggestions up to this point. It's been very helpful. :biggrin::biggrin:
Wondering if everyone with a CMM1000 didn't take advantage of the last recall? From my understanding, the last recall converted all CMM1000 into CMM1200 units?