1999 GoldPro 6.5 HP 10547 DuraForce 2-cycle engine

seabee

Forum Newbie
Threads
After not using for 18 months, wouldn't start. Took apart, cleaned. Starts good, runs a few minutes, then quits. After a few minutes it will restart, but will only run a few minutes before quitting. New plug, cleaned carb, cleaned air cleaner and fuel line, checked gap on coils, cleaned gas tank, cleaned ports (cylinder) as best I could. Stumped here. Suggestions?

Fireman 123

Threads
seabee said:
After not using for 18 months, wouldn't start. Took apart, cleaned. Starts good, runs a few minutes, then quits. After a few minutes it will restart, but will only run a few minutes before quitting. New plug, cleaned carb, cleaned air cleaner and fuel line, checked gap on coils, cleaned gas tank, cleaned ports (cylinder) as best I could. Stumped here. Suggestions?

Make sure the primer line is connected good at both ends, and isn't pinched anywhere. On the left hand side of the carb there's a small decal with some numbers on it. Behind that decal, there's an adjuster for what I believe is the air/fuel ratio. With the mower running, you may need to make an adjustment there, especially if it surges any.
Also, since there's no fuel shut-off on the later Lawn-Boys, after sitting a long period of time, fuel will seep past the needle & seat, and find its way into the crankcase. There's a small plate with 4 bolts under the deck you have to remove to get to the exhaust port, and the u-shaped tube. If you cleaned that area, did raw fuel pour out of there when you took the plate off? Another sign of that on most Duraforces is the stain on the front of the deck where that unused fuel gets spit out of the muffler. Having all that said, go buy an in-line fuel shut-off, and a new needle & seat kit. I recommend eBay for the carb part. Good luck. Hope I was of some help :)

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure the primer line is connected good at both ends, and isn't pinched anywhere. On the left hand side of the carb there's a small decal with some numbers on it. Behind that decal, there's an adjuster for what I believe is the air/fuel ratio. With the mower running, you may need to make an adjustment there, especially if it surges any.
Also, since there's no fuel shut-off on the later Lawn-Boys, after sitting a long period of time, fuel will seep past the needle & seat, and find its way into the crankcase. There's a small plate with 4 bolts under the deck you have to remove to get to the exhaust port, and the u-shaped tube. If you cleaned that area, did raw fuel pour out of there when you took the plate off? Another sign of that on most Duraforces is the stain on the front of the deck where that unused fuel gets spit out of the muffler. Having all that said, go buy an in-line fuel shut-off, and a new needle & seat kit. I recommend eBay for the carb part. Good luck. Hope I was of some help :)

What a terrible way to save a couple of bucks (probably more like 53 cents :laughing:.)

I agree that it's well worth the time and (minimal) effort to install an inline fuel valve. Some of the Suzuki-powered Toros (fine machines) don't have that as well so I've added valves to those which helps a lot when storing the mower for more than a week or so.

Here's an example of the valve I'm talking about.

seabee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Fireman 123 and Two Stroke, Thank you both for your quick responses. I will do as you suggest. I am anxious to get it running again. It's a great mower when its working right.