John Deere LT155

TannerMan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD LT 155 lawn tractor. When you turn the key, nothing happens. We have replaced the starter, solenoid, battery and ignition switch. Any suggestions?

Lawnranger

Threads
Start with the basics, don't overlook anything and verify all components. First, check the fuse(s) and check battery voltage-above 12.5 volts should be good. Second, check for power at the small terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). If your solenoid is a four wire solenoid, check both small wire terminals as one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch. Third, check for power from the battery to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. Fourth, check for power on the other large terminal of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position (you may need an assistant to sit in the seat to override the safety switch). Fifth, check for power at the starter while holding the key in the start position (assistant again). Sixth, check your ground circuit back to the battery.

Since you replaced virtually everything in the starting circuit except the wiring, you may have a wiring problem but that will show up with the above checks at the point where power is interrupted. Perform the above checks and report back with your findings. If you don't know how to perform the checks, just ask and we'll guide you through it all. There are more potential checks to make but I don't want to overwhelm you so do just those items listed and let us know what you find.

TannerMan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD LT 155 lawn tractor. When you turn the key, nothing happens. We have replaced the starter, solenoid, battery and ignition switch. Any suggestions?

We have juice on the battery. We have no juice on the starter post. We have juice on the solenoid large terminal from the battery. We have no juice on the solenoid large terminal to the starter. We have no juice on either small terminal on the solenoid. Before we replaced the solenoid, we could jump the large terminals on the old solenoid and the engine would crank. With the new solenoid, all we get is sparks - no crank.

Lawnranger

Threads
We have juice on the battery. We have no juice on the starter post. We have juice on the solenoid large terminal from the battery. We have no juice on the solenoid large terminal to the starter. We have no juice on either small terminal on the solenoid. Before we replaced the solenoid, we could jump the large terminals on the old solenoid and the engine would crank. With the new solenoid, all we get is sparks - no crank.

Juice on the battery doesn't tell me how much voltage you have. I need you to be as specific as possible and I need to know what voltage you have at the battery. Start with the basics and don't overlook anything. You didn't mention if you had 12 volts on the small wire of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position as this check is very important and easy to overlook. I need you to perform the checks exactly as I outlined and please report your findings in the order I suggested checking them to make things as easy as possible for me to understand.

The problem with your starting circuit can go in several directions but the answers to my questions will choose the way so make sure to perform the checks in order and as directed to expedite solving the problem.

Good luck with the checks and let me know what you find.

TannerMan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Juice on the battery doesn't tell me how much voltage you have. I need you to be as specific as possible and I need to know what voltage you have at the battery. Start with the basics and don't overlook anything. You didn't mention if you had 12 volts on the small wire of the solenoid while holding the key in the start position as this check is very important and easy to overlook. I need you to perform the checks exactly as I outlined and please report your findings in the order I suggested checking them to make things as easy as possible for me to understand.

The problem with your starting circuit can go in several directions but the answers to my questions will choose the way so make sure to perform the checks in order and as directed to expedite solving the problem.

Good luck with the checks and let me know what you find.

Set a multimeter at 20 on the DC side and the battery came in at .43 - going to have the battery checked out.

Lawnranger

Threads
Set a multimeter at 20 on the DC side and the battery came in at .43 - going to have the battery checked out.

Good job! Don't overlook the basics. In your original post you said you replaced the battery and it just goes to show that new doesn't always mean good. This is not the first time a "new in the box" part was defective.