Mower just shut off

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm in southeastern CT and not familiar with power equipment dealers in your area.
Marvin and Sons is a local John Deere dealer in Colchester not far from me.
Years back JD produced an excellent service manual for Onan powered tractors and I have used this manual when dealing with other Onan powered machines.

Homeuser

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in southeastern CT and not familiar with power equipment dealers in your area.
Marvin and Sons is a local John Deere dealer in Colchester not far from me.
Years back JD produced an excellent service manual for Onan powered tractors and I have used this manual when dealing with other Onan powered machines.

Thank you! I found a part place in Shelton, I'll see if they do repairs as well. Thanks for Everyone's Help and advice!!1

Homeuser

Forum Newbie
Threads
HI, just wanted to give an update.

I was able to get in touch with the guy who worked on my JD a few months ago, when I needed it to be prepared for the winter plow season. He couldn't get to it till after the holiday's. But asked me to move it into my garage for him. When I went out to move it, I tried to start it, and it started! It ran very sluggishly... I used a spark Tester (goes in line with the spark plug wire and spark plug) and it lit up, telling me that I was getting a spark or what ever it was supposed to do. So I took out the spark plug (which he put in a new one, a few months ago) and it was completely black! It had gunk on it and smelled like gas or oil. I checked the Oil level and it was over filled. I know I didn't do this as I am the only one who touched this, other than him when he came to service it for me, again a few months ago. It sits behind my shed under a cover, and I only use it for the winter snow plowing.

Again, I don't know much about engines, just the basics. This makes sense to me, as I believe the chambers filled up with oil and choked out the machine, causing it to stop as abruptly as it did. When I let it sit for 3-4 days, the oil settled back to where it needed to and allowed the machine to start and to breathe.

I have since, drained some oil and cleaned the spark plugs and holes the best I can. I will either get new plugs(again) or clean these and reuse them. But I just wanted to thank all who tried to help me find a solution to my problem.

Thanks again!!!!!

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Unless it was severely over full on oil that's not your problem. Was the oil milky colored? And why clean a 2$ plug. Chunk it and buy a new 1.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you go to the parts store get an in line fuel tap some more oil & a new oil filter.
The float valve is not shutting off the fuel or the diaphragm in the fuel pump is ruptured .
This is allowing fuel to enter the engine when it is not running, dribble past the ring gap and then down into the sump.
Rub your oil between your finger it will feel thin & smell a bit like fuel.
You will need to change the oil twice to get all the fuel out.

IF you are feeling brave you can pull the carb off and clean it out.
Most likely ther will b a little crd on the needle valve or the valve itself will have a little ridge in it.
Put the tap in the fuel line between the fuel tank & the fuel pump.
This is not a fix but a prevetative action it will need to be fixed properly but the tap adds some extra protection till the job gets done properly.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Homeuser,
Would it be possible for you to post the tractor model and serial number and the engine model and serial number.
JD 318s have Onan twin cylinder engines, but you speak on changing the spark plug, Onan twins have two spark plugs.
Sincerely, you should have someone who is qualified and experienced with power equipment trouble shoot and repair your tractor.
When you finally get a mech to work on your tractor, they will need to find that what you may have done wrong, find out what is actually wrong and then repair all.
One service department that worked at had a sign and it read:
The labor rate is X dollars per hour.
If you watch, the labor rate is 2X dollars per hour.
If you help, the labor rate is 3X dollars per hour.
If you don't like any of the above, the exit door is directly behind you, don't forget to take your broken "thing" with you.:laughing:

Homeuser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Homeuser,
Would it be possible for you to post the tractor model and serial number and the engine model and serial number.

One service department that worked at had a sign and it read:
The labor rate is X dollars per hour.
If you watch, the labor rate is 2X dollars per hour.
If you help, the labor rate is 3X dollars per hour.
If you don't like any of the above, the exit door is directly behind you, don't forget to take your broken "thing" with you.:laughing:

This is all I have

John Deere-ID# M00318X485305
Engine: ONAN-A8831585
P218G-I10462E

I have a tech coming after the holidays.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good morning Homeuser,
Your 318 has an Onan model P218 twin cylinder engine that was built in January of 1988. This makes your tractor a 1988 or 1989 year model.
The Onan P218 engine has two cylinders in a horizontal opposed configuration. It has solid state ignition and uses battery positive electricity from the key switch to power it.
Both the Onan engine and JD 318 are fairly stout units, but as with any machine/engine, does need regular maintenance performed on it.
Incorporated into the tractor wiring harness are several safety circuits to prevent engine starting when an unsafe condition is present. Similar safety circuits shut down the engine if an unsafe condition is present. Sometimes these circuits have malfunctions.
I used to do house calls for customers, but stopped a few years ago and only do maintenance on my own machines.
For years I operated P218 powered garden tractors in my lawn care/snow removal business, but went to Zero Turn mowers in 2008 and sold all but one of my garden tractors. The high time P218 that was in my garden tractor failed and as Onan engines are no longer produced, I repowered this tractor with a Briggs Vanguard engine.
Onan parts are still available although fairly expensive.
I have both JD and Onan service manuals for Onan engines in pdf format should your tech need this information, they are large downloads however.
JD service manuals are available at JD dealers and possibly on line.
Keep us up to date with the condition of your tractor.:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Homeuser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning Homeuser,
Keep us up to date with the condition of your tractor.:laughing::biggrin::smile:

I will. Thanks! If it's going to be costly, I"m just gonna have to Junk it... :frown::thumbdown:

NorthBama

Threads
I will. Thanks! If it's going to be costly, I"m just gonna have to Junk it... :frown::thumbdown:

Wow wished i lived coser to you if you are going to junk it i would buy it. I love Onan engines because i help build them from 1974 until 1997 when the went down. That engine is built better than most all that are built today.