Trade Ins?

Mean Machine

Threads
Do lawn and garden places ever take trade ins on riding mowers? With all the Black Friday incentives I'm seeing, I'm thinking I could upgrade my ride-on and get a really good deal right now.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You will almost always do better selling anything you own... yourself.
Run a free add on craigslist... pot a for sale sigh on it in your yard. Anyway you do it you are going to be able to beat whatever anyone that sells new can give you... :smile:KennyV

Hershey

Threads
Craigs list comes with a danger attached to it but it's probably the best way to recoup some of your money. I don't know of any trade in spots around here.

indypower

Threads
Many of the local shops take trade-ins. The big box stores don't.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do lawn and garden places ever take trade ins on riding mowers? With all the Black Friday incentives I'm seeing, I'm thinking I could upgrade my ride-on and get a really good deal right now.

The only places I have known in Mid-Michigan to take trade ins are the larger dealerships who sell everything from walk behind mowers to giant farm tractors, although my local dealership has 5 locations, they never seem to have anything used for sale that doesn't weigh at leat 750 pounds. So I doubt if they would give much for anything smaller. Check on Ebay to get some idea of a price to set, I see a lot of older equipment there for sale but the majority of it is local pick up only items.

Walt 2002

Threads
"You will almost always do better selling anything you own"

I agree. for years I bought, sold, repaired and traded in used riding mowers/tractors. I bought used stuff from a large dealer in larger town a few miles away and you would be shocked at what I would pay. Most don't figure on having much IF ANYTHING in used riding mowers, lawn tractors. I would often buy 3 - 5 for what you might expect to pay for one.

They get $75 per hour for their shop time. They had all the business they could take care of and would much rather have their techs working for cash then fooling with traded in stuff plus they didn't have to worry about taking yet another trade in and of course generally had to offer a 30 day warranty on used stuff and all the head aches associated with that.

Walt Conner

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I buy used.... I have always felt better buying a used anything from the actual past owner... Try to never buy anything from a 'used' dealer.

I guess IF I'm going to get lied to, about something, I would prefer it was someone that actually knows something about it's history, than someone that has to fabricate everything about it... :smile:KennyV

Harriet

Threads
Gee I wonder if buying and selling used mowers could be a nifty little business niche for someone who is handy with mechanical things. Maybe a semi-retired person, or a young person could do it on the side.

mois25

Threads
Trade-ins are a good idea but I would rather you sold the mower yourself and bought another one. Nonetheless, explore the options and see which one works best for you.

jenkinsph

Threads
If you have a JD rider that you want to sell I would clean it up and put a for sale sign on it with your phone number. In front of your house if you have some traffic would be best, give it a couple of weeks to get the word out it should sell easily if the price is fair.

Buy the new one with cash in hand and without a trade for the best deal.