Bead leak on rear CubCadet tire

resourcemick

Forum Newbie
Threads
After figuring out that the suddenly uneven cut of my new 46" Cub Cadet lawn tractor was a deflating rear left tire with a bead leak, I now must determine what tools I need to remove the wheel. Any pointers to expedite this ?
Mick

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
On many MTD tractors, the wisest thing to do is remove the tire off of the rim while it is still on the mower, as those rims don't usually come off easily, and many folks do some transmission damage trying to remove the rim.

Fish

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
mick, I can tell you about my one experience with the cheap tire/rim on my craftsman trailer which resembles the rider wheels. The tire deflated due to a loose valve stem insert. When attempting to inflate the tire on the rim I finally used a nylon strap to squeeze the center of the tire down while adding air to seat the bead. This was not so easy due to the cheap pressed steel wheel and hardly any bead seating area. Keep fussing with it while adding the air. The strap causes the beads to spread making it easier to finally seat them. I have noticed that some auto stores sell these tires.

Fish. I would like to hear how you change the tire without removing the wheel.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was not on a Cub, but the same might apply.
I found 3 reasons my tires were leaking at the bead -
1. on the idler tires for the mower deck, there was grass getting in the bead area
2. when I had new tires mounted the instaler used what he called "bead butter" and the tires were actually slipping on the rim
3. I had used slime on a tire and it was doing the same as the bead butter and making the tire slip on the rim at the bead

As for breaking the bead and cleaning the tire and wheel bead area - there have been other threads with advice on breaking the bead.
I have found a couple ways to do that -- I have down pressure on the hydraulics of the Ventrac and can usually break the bead with that --
You can also use a jack under a trailer hitch at the bead (careful to miss the wheel and be only on the tire with the base of the jack).
A ratchet strap around the diameter of the tire will help reseat the bead.

Do a search for other threads in this forum on tires and breaking the bead.

Good Luck and let us know what works for you ! :thumbsup:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
mick, I can tell you about my one experience with the cheap tire/rim on my craftsman trailer which resembles the rider wheels. The tire deflated due to a loose valve stem insert. When attempting to inflate the tire on the rim I finally used a nylon strap to squeeze the center of the tire down while adding air to seat the bead. This was not so easy due to the cheap pressed steel wheel and hardly any bead seating area. Keep fussing with it while adding the air. The strap causes the beads to spread making it easier to finally seat them. I have noticed that some auto stores sell these tires.

Fish. I would like to hear how you change the tire without removing the wheel.

It ain't easy, but a lot easier than trying to put that driveshaft back in the transmission.

Sorry I misread the first post. I didn't see the "bead" part.

So the bead is off of the rim? The rim damaged or real rusty? Or is it just a slow leak at the rim?

chobbs1957

Threads
After figuring out that the suddenly uneven cut of my new 46" Cub Cadet lawn tractor was a deflating rear left tire with a bead leak, I now must determine what tools I need to remove the wheel. Any pointers to expedite this ?
Mick

I think the advice from Fish to leave the tire on the tractor is probably good.

The first thing I'd try is to reinflate it and run it until it happens again. Getting that bead to reseat may or may not be easy,
- Let your air compressor build up to maximum PSI, giving maximum air force to pop the bead back to the rim.
- Remove the valve stem core, which will allow a little stronger in force of air into the tire putting more outward pressure to reseat the bead to the rim; once reseated, replace the valve stem and inflate tire to desired PSI.
- Like motoman says, a nylon strap or other tensioning tightening strap, even a piece of wire, wrapped around the the tire tread and pulled tight will force the bead outward closer to the rim, helping to reseat it when inflating.

Beak leaks on lawnmower tires perplex me! There are some reasons why, I know. Some are
- There is rust around the rim where the bead seats
- The rubber is losing is softening, maybe cracking, with age, making it harder to remain seated at the bead, especially at the low PSI we run in mower tires
- You underinflated the tire, allowing too much slippage, especially if on a ditchbank or other slope.

Solutions are limited, but include:
- Cleaning the bead area of the rim with a steal brush and smoothening it throroughly with steel wool.
- Adding an inner tube.
- Inflate to maximum recommended pressure (maybe more).

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mick

What I get out of this is the tire is still on the wheel but just low on air.

First thing I would try is inflate to 30 psi drive around for a few mins. Drop it back down to 10 or how ever you like it and check for leaks.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I forgot to mention that I lightly lube the bead seat and tire beads with a coating of silicone grease. You can get this at plumbing stores in a 1-1/2" can for a couple bucks. I tried this after watching the tire change dudes lube 'em during mounting. I think vinyl dash cleaner or armor all would probably work. Helps when fussing to get air seal. Soapy water might work.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
This may help.
Xtra Seal Bead Sealer
16910014_xse_14101_pri_larg.jpg

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
this is a good thread. thanks to all