Steep hills

dananfitz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Our newly acquired property has steep hills, 2 1/2 acres of cutting area. Since I rolled my little OLD Murray riding mower trying to cut it, I am in need of a mower that will do steep hills. Any advice as to type & manufacturer would be appreciated.

Threads
Our newly acquired property has steep hills, 2 1/2 acres of cutting area. Since I rolled my little OLD Murray riding mower trying to cut it, I am in need of a mower that will do steep hills. Any advice as to type & manufacturer would be appreciated.

You have a couple options. Most riding mowers are not meant to be operated on a slope greater than 15 degrees for your safety and for the mower to work properly. One of your options is to get a self-propelled mower. This might be the safer option. If only part of your yard is steep slopes you could get a rider for the rest and then get the Husqvarna AWD mower for the slopes. Another thing you could do is buy a small Ventrac, maybe a used one, but they are not cheap! They can operate on up to a 25 degree slope!
AWD mower.jpg ventrac 3000.jpg 20 degrees.gif 25 degrees.gif

dananfitz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. Our hill seems to be at least 25 degrees, I will take a gauge reading tomorrow.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Don't know how much money you want to spend but if I had 2 1/2 acres of cutting with 25 degree slopes I'd go with a Hustler ATZ (“All Terrain Z”) it's a ZTR mower rated to mow 25 degree slopes or hills. It has an extended frame, special 24 bar-tread tires, and a combination of wheel weights and added frame weights.

http://www.hustlerturf.com/products/atz.html

Last edited:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't know how much money you want to spend but if I had 2 1/2 acres of cutting with 25 degree slopes I'd go with a Hustler ATZ (é„*ll Terrain Z? it's a ZTR mower rated to mow 25 degree slopes or hills. It has an extended frame, special 24 bar-tread tires, and a combination of wheel weights and added frame weights.

Hustler Turf Products - Industrial Mowers - ATZ

Do you have any idea what that 60" ZTR costs???? I can't seem to find anything on the web where they actually give pricing for Hustlers:0(

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have any idea what that 60" ZTR costs???? I can't seem to find anything on the web where they actually give pricing for Hustlers:0(

The ATZ, with the 27HP Kohler / 60", suspension seat is running $11,295 I'm guessing the with 35hp Kawasaki FX1000 probably between 12 and 13K

14529-steep-hills-atz-jpg
14530-steep-hills-atz-rv2-jpg

Attachments

• ATZ.jpg
    ATZ.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 60
  • atz rv2.jpg
    atz rv2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 59

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
The ATZ, with the 27HP Kohler / 60", suspension seat is running $11,295 I'm guessing the with 35hp Kawasaki probably 12K

Ouch....I don't know about user dananfitz, but that would be a little steep of an expenditure for mowing my 2.5 acres:0)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ouch....I don't know about user dananfitz, but that would be a little steep of an expenditure for mowing my 2.5 acres:0)

I would guess you can buy them a little cheaper depend on the size of the motor, I think it comes in the 24 hp also or at least it did. It's a heavy weight Industrial mower. The price isn't really that steep if you consider that some of the nice commercial rigs cost that much. Anyone who buys that ATZ is buying a whale for a mower, that dang thing weighs nearly 1800lbs.:shocked:

possum

Threads
I think before I would spend 12 grand on a mower I would check into 1. Hiring it mowed. 2. Growth regulators 3. Moving