How crappy are the Powermore OHV's and has anyone found any actual specs for them?

SirJohn

Threads
  • / How crappy are the Powermore OHV's and has anyone found any actual specs for them?
These seem to be popping up on more and more budget mowers in the past couple of years. I know they are a cheap china clone, but how do they really compare to the B&S flatheads that they have been replacing. It looks like the 139cc model is replacing everything from the B&S 300 to the 550. Has anyone found any actual torque or hp ratings on how they actually compare to those engines or have any experience with them? Now that they have been out a few years and showing up on more models, has the parts situation improved any on them?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / How crappy are the Powermore OHV's and has anyone found any actual specs for them?
its just a rumor....but if briggs brings back murray....mtd needs another engine supplier....this is it.....as far as tecumseh? i dont know....i hope they come back too

originalswampfox

Threads
I recently went to murray.com the site look like briggs has started selling murrays and when you look for a dealer you don't get home depot or lowes etc. Never worked on a Powermore but haven't heard anything good about them either.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just googled powermore engines and it looks like a well made engine. It looks like it is made in China and it just seems that anything made in China is cheap and junk. I have been looking at Chinese made scooters and it just seems every thing I hear about them is bad like you can't keep the valves adjusted for one thing. I think that with time it is going tell because as I remember back in the 50's everything made in Japan was junk and look at it Japanese made products now. It looks like a gamble as to if powermore engines are any good or not.

originalswampfox

Threads
China in general is the coming supplier. First they will beat you on price and later on quality(just as Japan has done)

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
its just a rumor....but if briggs brings back murray....mtd needs another engine supplier....this is it.....as far as tecumseh? i dont know....i hope they come back too

Tecumseh is coming back under the old lauson name. the company that took over tecumseh is also the company that is handling LCT engines.

kjc

Forum Newbie
Threads
These seem to be popping up on more and more budget mowers in the past couple of years. I know they are a cheap china clone, but how do they really compare to the B&S flatheads that they have been replacing. It looks like the 139cc model is replacing everything from the B&S 300 to the 550. Has anyone found any actual torque or hp ratings on how they actually compare to those engines or have any experience with them? Now that they have been out a few years and showing up on more models, has the parts situation improved any on them?

I'm curious if anyone has valve lash specs for the 300? cc powermore engine. I spoke with a guy at MTD that was supposed to be a tech and it was complete KAOS. They have been using this engine long enough that you would think they would at least sound like they've heard of it before. Best he could do is give me a part number for a service manual and i had to demand that because it was EXTREAMLY obvious he had no idea what any specs were.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm curious if anyone has valve lash specs for the 300? cc powermore engine. I spoke with a guy at MTD that was supposed to be a tech and it was complete KAOS. They have been using this engine long enough that you would think they would at least sound like they've heard of it before. Best he could do is give me a part number for a service manual and i had to demand that because it was EXTREAMLY obvious he had no idea what any specs were.

Don't get me wrong but it is nice to know the specks when you work on a engine, something I try for. My problem is that is a luxury I don't always have. As for my self I just guess with a universal number. for valves I use .006 and .012 and for torque specs I go by size. All I know it seems to work OK for me.

kjc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah, i agree to the guess work. Especially when it comes to an engine that no one, Not even the folks using the engine, can even understand. I was kind of hoping the problem was my lack of patience with the people at MTD and that someone with a more understanding attitude was able to get further with them and was able to get some actual specs out of one of there "techs". I appreciate the reply and hopefully the folks at MTD will eventually be able to figure out what is going on with the engine they are working with and give us poor techs a little more to work with than a crystal ball.
Since it looks like i'm going to be working on these engines no matter what i guess i'll order the service book and then the "techs" at MTD can request the info from me and know that at least someone knows where to find the specs. Then i'll Put them on hold for 45 min. while i have cofee and smoke a couple cigs before i tell them to STICK IT.
But i'll be glad to refer any specs to my fellow wrenches that need them so feel free to e-mail me if anyone needs info. cornellandsons@charter.net

BOB NELSON

Forum Newbie
Threads
DOES THE POWERMORE OHV ENGINE HAVE A TIMING BELT LIKE THE HINDA DOES BOB