RSD exhaust burning lawn?

mhavanti

Threads
That is the dirtiest that rascal has been after a mowing. It is always cleaned with water, blown off and then garaged and kept out of the sun. I haven't added the lights, the fans, oil coolers and the flex oil drain hose yet.

577jersey

Threads
You sir have way too much time on your hands. :laughing:
hahaha,i actually haven’t washed it in a few weeks cause its going into the shop soon and Hustler needs to take a pic of the leaky pump so i can get a new one..lol..usually just swing through the car wash and hit it with the wand,spray wax,and rinse..comes out nice..i also put protectant on my plastics in the Summer,seat,hoses,engine shroud ect...cant hurt.Remember,Im going to try and get 1000 hours out of this mower lol :)

Have_Blue

Threads
Trying to order a heat shield, and I'm getting part no 120562 and 120564. Are they the same, and do all Raptor heat shields fit all sizes of Raptor? (I have the SD 60)

Thanks!!!

PS: I have mostly centipede grass, and there are no scorching problems unless I stop. I have an area of bermuda grass that the mower is causing brown streaks, even though I never stop. Just going fairly slow and making normal turns is enough to overheat the grass!

Have_Blue

Threads
Trying to order a heat shield, and I'm getting part no 120562 and 120564. Are they the same, and do all Raptor heat shields fit all sizes of Raptor? (I have the SD 60)

Never mind. I had a rainy day, so I made my own heat shield out of a sturdy 16"x16" aluminum plate. We will see if my patch of bermuda recovers and if the grass clippings collected by the shield catch fire. :laughing:

gasjr4wd

Threads
Never mind. I had a rainy day, so I made my own heat shield out of a sturdy 16"x16" aluminum plate. We will see if my patch of bermuda recovers and if the grass clippings collected by the shield catch fire. :laughing:

picts?!

Last edited:

superformance

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm interested to see the DIY shield. Any rattle? I am new to ztr with my first being the raptor. Def burned grass while picking up twigs and kids toys.

Have_Blue

Threads
I'm interested to see the DIY shield. Any rattle? I am new to ztr with my first being the raptor. Def burned grass while picking up twigs and kids toys.

No rattle, it's pretty solid. Doubt it works, however. :(

I have found a problem I haven't come across on the forum, so I'm re-thinking the entire issue:

Radiant heat from the hot muffler does not appear to be the cause of the scorching. It appears to be the flywheel fan causing most of the damage, not the muffler. The air blowing downward from the engine is very hot. Pictures of muffler shield I have seen do not appear they would solve the problem.

This would not be a concern to me if it scorched grass only when the mower lingered too long in 1 place. However, it scorches when the mower is on the move. Sometimes you have to make slow, gentle turns in tight quarters to prevent skid marks on soft ground. It should not scorch the grass simply going slowly, but it does on my bermuda.

Unless someone tells me their muffler shield truly helps, I'll just have to mow at top speed to prevent scorching.

Note: Due to more investigation, I have edited out some of my false assumptions.

Last edited:

Scythe

Threads
I remember reading about over filling the gas tank and fuel leaks. I found this after a quick search. See post #5 < clickable link

BoylermanCT

Threads
I bought the muffler shield after mowing with the RSD for the first time. I had some burnt spots in the grass from stopping. After the shield no issues. It should be standard on the RSD, not an extra option.