Want to make a fast lawn mower tractor.

Jonas94

Forum Newbie
Threads
Iknow if we put oon some larger tires it will go faster, but thats only a few km/h, but i want it to go 40-50m/t.
Can i only change engine to a moped engine?
A lawn mower have from 8 to 20hp, but a moped only have 2-3hp? but a lot more RPM

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Iknow if we put oon some larger tires it will go faster, but thats only a few km/h, but i want it to go 40-50m/t.
Can i only change engine to a moped engine?
A lawn mower have from 8 to 20hp, but a moped only have 2-3hp? but a lot more RPM

Jonas you don't want a lawn mower, you want a go cart.

Jonas94

Forum Newbie
Threads
no, i want a fast lown mower.
The reason is simple, who will stop a lown mower couse it drives to fast..?
And how fun would it be to drive from a moped :) ?

Someone have a idea what i can do?

mullins87

Threads
If you're wanting to mow a lawn at 30 mph....forget it, it will never work. Your blade speed would have to be so high the blades and spindles would grenade. Besides, you won't have enough room to drive it at that speed, unless your yard is several acres in size and freeway smooth.

If you're wanting something to drive down the road and not get pulled over by the cops, you can forget that too. True, I don't know of anyone that has ever been stopped on a mower for not having a license plate or insurance on it, but I do know of someone that was arrested for DUI on one. Anything driven on the road has to comply with your local, state and federal laws. Even a bicyclist can be ticketed for speeding or running a stop sign.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The first thing would be is remove the governor. Then you would have to experiment with drive belts and pulleys. I don't know how fast you want to go but you might want better brakes also.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fix the steering & brakes so they will function properly above 10 mph & insure that the front wheels will stay on.... then after you have it controllable you can address making it go faster...

Here is a fun youtube...Lawn Mower Racing Rockingham NWLMRA - YouTube

And here is a starting point... Lawn Mower Racing Secrets

Don't kill yourself right away, get some pictures & videos to post back here first... :smile:KennyV

Jonas94

Forum Newbie
Threads
The first thing would be is remove the governor. Then you would have to experiment with drive belts and pulleys. I don't know how fast you want to go but you might want better brakes also.

What is the governor, read about it, but does it have with the RPM or gasoline intake..?

flyerdan

Threads
I would not recommend messing with the governor, it's purpose is to maintain speed and keep the internal rotating parts from exiting the side of the engine. One of the guys at work made a scary fast mower by just swapping the pulleys front to back. He also replaced the front axle with one that was a bit wider and lower for stability. It helped that we had a complete fab shop with all the goodies though.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the governor, read about it, but does it have with the RPM or gasoline intake..?

The governor keeps the throttle adjusted to have the engine run around 3200 RPM. At this RPM the mower engine runs the most efficient for operating lawn equipment. To eliminate it you would have to do away with the carburetor linkage and just hook it direct to the throttle plate. I have a friend that races go carts and the first thing they do is do away with the governor. It really shouldn't do any damage because they get two seasons out of a go cart engine. Also you don't run a governor on a car or motorcycle and you get long-life from them. Now you need a nice straight pipe without a muffler for a nice sound. Keep in touch as to how it turns out for you because it sounds like fun.

mullins87

Threads
Get a combination hour meter/tachometer like the one Norther Tool sells. That way you can keep an eye on the rpm's with the governor removed. I know for a fact these engines can spin 5,500 rpm's with no damage.