oil leak- MTD rider, tecumseh 13HP

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
in the picture all I can make out is the engine mounting bolt. I would have no Idea where the engine is leaking oil. The crankcase vent is as a rule around the air cleaner because some of them vent into the air cleaner but not all. By chance could you have a cracked crank case? I would say clean everything up real good and start from there. I mean with a pressure cleaner. I have had a real hard leak to find before that I have even put white paper under what ever I am working on. I have found that oil will travel. I have found that sometime a oil leak can be very hard to find.

rigoletto

Threads
in the picture all I can make out is the engine mounting bolt. I would have no Idea where the engine is leaking oil. The crankcase vent is as a rule around the air cleaner because some of them vent into the air cleaner but not all. By chance could you have a cracked crank case? I would say clean everything up real good and start from there. I mean with a pressure cleaner. I have had a real hard leak to find before that I have even put white paper under what ever I am working on. I have found that oil will travel. I have found that sometime a oil leak can be very hard to find.

Thanks, Nick, for continued support. Yes, I did use a pressure washer. And, to go further, I pre soaked the entire engine and base with engine cleaner. It is squeaky clean. There was absolutely no oil residue left on the machine. Only then did I start it/mow 5-10 minutes to retest, and found the leak. Now, regarding photo, one doesnt have to see the oil (I admit, photo is not big enough), but the point of the picture is more to point out (literally, the point of the metallic awl) the LOCATION of the seepage. I dont know how it would help more to see the oil- the point is the same. How can oil SEEP to that area?
Thats why I gambled and replaced seal first, as I couldnt imagine any other leakage source (no biggee, and I have a new seal), but still, leak at that point where aluminum aloy engine base meets the frame of mower.

There are also no seepage from engine wals, so I assume as a result, no cracks on engine. I observed all this with oil leak test DYE, and uv light with special eye glasses. Fluorescence shows up ONLY at base- no other place.

Geeez, I may have to yank engine and place on my bench- I guess thats also not a big deal, right Nick? Im out of ideas.

Thnaks, Man.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The oil has to be coming from someplace. I am just guessing from other engines I have worked on. I know some engines the case splits in haft and some have just a cover. To seal this crank case some companies use a gasket and a lot of the newer engines now use a anaerobic sealer. Seeing that yours is a newer style engine I am going to guess your case is put together with the anaerobic sealer. If this is so your engine would have to be disassembled and resealed. One of many company's that make this sealer is Permatex and it is called Anaerobic Gasket Maker. (Not cheap) Before I did anything if it was me I would want to find the leak frist what ever it took to find it.

rigoletto

Threads
OK, Nick. Guess thats it for now- I need to do detective work- best to get it on the bench, I figure. I will let you know what happens....

Thanks, Man!

weewilly

Forum Newbie
Threads
slightly off track
I had (10 years ago)a new 14.5 B&S (not a filter/pressure lube setup) just splash lubrication got too much oil in the crankcase and(the pressure) popped the paper gasket at the base of the motor
Just me $.02cdn

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
slightly off track
I had (10 years ago)a new 14.5 B&S (not a filter/pressure lube setup) just splash lubrication got too much oil in the crankcase and(the pressure) popped the paper gasket at the base of the motor
Just me $.02cdn

Too much oil in crankcase sure would be a reason for a oil leak, not off track at all good idea.

rigoletto

Threads
Whew, I know its been waaaaay long time ago, but believe it or not, havnt had much opportunity to run mower during winter.....LOL

So, I figured out it was the o ring at base of the plastic poil dip stick tube!! tested it about 2 mowings the last few weeks, and didnt want to conclude too early, but that surely wqas the culprit. Anyway, you guys were a huge help here. I will be back!!!