Battery or other component at fault...?

I-75

Threads
Currrently using a Huskee 21 hp that has a starting issue. I can start the mower but if I turn it off after an hour or two of use and try to start I just get clicks.

If I clean the positive connection it usually starts.

The same thing happens after another hour of mowing (same day/session). The second time this happened I just tuned the bolt a half or so turn and it started back.

So it does not appear the battery if dead but the mower is finicky about when it wants to start.

Positive cable sheathing is slightly exposed at the post connector but wire cable does not appeared frayed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You might want to try new battery cables.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The next time it acts up, push it in the garage and turn out the lights. Turn the key to crank while someone wiggles all of the wires and cables. If you see a
spark, that is likely your trouble area, remove and wire brush the terminals and retighten snug.

If you are talking about having to constantly retighten the terminal on your starter, the plastic brush holder there is likely cracked and needs replaced.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The very first connection I would check and clean is the one where the negative cable is attached to the chassis ground.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The very first connection I would check and clean is the one where the negative cable is attached to the chassis ground.

My murray chassis ground always vibrates loose. Tryed lock washers duct tape super glue jb weld.

Eventually I just drilled a new whole with a new bolt and lock washer and no probles yet