battery draw

tinkirk

Forum Newbie
Threads
John Deere 116 old one
all of a sudden i had a dead battery,
traced it done to the stator, thinking it has shorted out because of the hot and melting spots on it and, when i unhook the one wire the battery draw goes away.
so my ?? is ( are my thoughts right?)

1982-4502

Threads
regulator or diode? what type engine do you have. it is more than charging coil.

tinkirk

Forum Newbie
Threads
it is a briggs twin cyl. opposing
as far as i can find it has no diode, no reg.
the only thing i find that it has is a what looks like an rectangle looking circuit breaker 20 or 25 amp can't remember what it said on it the one wire from the stator hooks to a red wire which goes into the wire harness and then goes to the circuit breaker then
when hooking up the battery it has a heck of a draw, when i unplug the stator it has no draw on the battery
plug in the stator with it unbolted from the motor no draw, as soon as the stator touches the block it sparks and their is a draw again

1982-4502

Threads
the red piug has the diode on the stator side. 3amp dc unregulated for charging battery. one red lead from stator ,dioade encased in connector, lets voltage flow one way, and is shorted.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

I'm going to move your thread over to our John Deere section. :smile:

tinkirk

Forum Newbie
Threads
the red piug has the diode on the stator side. 3amp dc unregulated for charging battery. one red lead from stator ,dioade encased in connector, lets voltage flow one way, and is shorted.

so you're saying that the little plug that the Stator plugs into is a small diode in that plug and, if so i could probably pickup a 3amp from radio shack or something like that and wire it in the red wire

Rocky J

Threads
There has to be a diode to convert the A/C to D/C current , the stater is a alternator that generates A/C current the diode should allow current to go in one direction only which would make it D/C. Slide your fingers down the black wire and feel for a fat spot or look for some heat shrink. The diode can go bad and no current go either way or can go bad and go both ways like in your case. Hope this link helps, http://www.darren-criss.org/single-wire-alternator-wiring-diagram/briggs-and-stratton-alternator-wiring-diagram-e6e93ddfe460daa9.html

tinkirk

Forum Newbie
Threads
There has to be a diode to convert the A/C to D/C current , the stater is a alternator that generates A/C current the diode should allow current to go in one direction only which would make it D/C. Slide your fingers down the black wire and feel for a fat spot or look for some heat shrink. The diode can go bad and no current go either way or can go bad and go both ways like in your case. Hope this link helps, http://www.darren-criss.org/single-wire-alternator-wiring-diagram/briggs-and-stratton-alternator-wiring-diagram-e6e93ddfe460daa9.html

ok thanks guys i picked up a diode that i can wire inline i have to also picked a used module/diode so hopefully i can take care of this issue one way or another
Have a Merry Christmas

Terry

1982-4502

Threads
so you're saying that the little plug that the Stator plugs into is a small diode in that plug and, if so i could probably pickup a 3amp from radio shack or something like that and wire it in the red wire
Your stator winding may be fried,too. ebay has alot the stators ,and buy one wire red plug.can be upgraded to one with regulator three wire,stator two black wires and yellow plug.10 amp. or stator with green plug one wire, reg two wire. 5amp.

tinkirk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your stator winding may be fried,too. ebay has alot the stators ,and buy one wire red plug.can be upgraded to one with regulator three wire,stator two black wires and yellow plug.10 amp. or stator with green plug one wire, reg two wire. 5amp.

replace the module/diode that pugs in under the battery all is good now
Thank You all for your help with this issue

God Bless All Of You On This Holiday Season

Terry