Chevy w4500 boxtruck problem

summitlawn98

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. I have a 99 Chevy 4500 box truck with isuzu diesel motor. Workers were driving down interstate last week and water pump hose blew. They told me it not get hot and pulled off the road within 100 yards of realizing there was a problem. Well I showed up put new hose back on filled it back up with antifreeze and water and cranked it. It was smoking bad and vibrating like hell. Just to get it off the interstate to have a safer place to look at it we limped it about 1/2 mile to nearest place we could safely get and by this time it had quit smoking and seemed like was running halfway normal. I decided to try to take it easy and try to get it back to shop to take a better look. Couple miles down the road is when bad knocking started. Immediately pulled off the road had it towed back to shop and here it still sits so I need some advice. Didn't want to just take it to just any mechanic without having a little knowledge of what is possibly going on. Sound like a $1000 fix or more like $5000 fix? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated! Thanks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a cylinder head gasket problem, if the glow plugs are installed directly into the cylinders then you can do a compression test fairly easily, but this is a lawn mower forum.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. I have a 99 Chevy 4500 box truck with isuzu diesel motor. Workers were driving down interstate last week and water pump hose blew. They told me it not get hot and pulled off the road within 100 yards of realizing there was a problem. Well I showed up put new hose back on filled it back up with antifreeze and water and cranked it. It was smoking bad and vibrating like hell. Just to get it off the interstate to have a safer place to look at it we limped it about 1/2 mile to nearest place we could safely get and by this time it had quit smoking and seemed like was running halfway normal. I decided to try to take it easy and try to get it back to shop to take a better look. Couple miles down the road is when bad knocking started. Immediately pulled off the road had it towed back to shop and here it still sits so I need some advice. Didn't want to just take it to just any mechanic without having a little knowledge of what is possibly going on. Sound like a $1000 fix or more like $5000 fix? Any suggestions or advice is appreciated! Thanks

And this is what brand mower?

Anyways your workers and YOU blew a head gasket running down the road with no water in the engine. Water went in and mixed with the oil then you drove it and spun a rod bearing.
So get you check book out
Easy $5000

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now if it was just a hose to the water pump and the truck was stopped when it happen why could it blow a head gasket? I would say it was overheated?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now if it was just a hose to the water pump and the truck was stopped when it happen why could it blow a head gasket? I would say it was overheated?

I hear what your saying but the hose broke and all the water left the engine and the temp never went up because there was no water touching the sending unit.

He fixed the hose and it smoked when he started it. Could be water in a cylinder. The smoke went away then it started making a lot if noise.

Unless I read it wrong

metz12

Threads
it did get hot right? probably warped the heads.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
either the overheating itself, or possibly coolant mixing with the oil has likely led to a bad bearing. possibly compromised other bearing surfaces too.

maybe try to get a used engine in there.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
And this is what brand mower?

Anyways your workers and YOU blew a head gasket running down the road with no water in the engine. Water went in and mixed with the oil then you drove it and spun a rod bearing.
So get you check book out
Easy $5000

:) its in the front porch section :) I agree sounds like a bearing and with a diesel engine easy 5000 assuming you can find some cheap labor

summitlawn98

Forum Newbie
Threads
Supposedly never over heated and yes I realize this is a lawn mower forum. I was just asking no big deal. When I replaced the water pump hose like I said I filled it back up with water and antifreeze. I appreciate the non sarcastic comments lol I know it is bad just asked for little knowledge in case someone else has run into something like this since there are a lot of commercial mowing guys on here that may have box trucks as well. No biggie having towed to mechanic tomorrow it's just the cost of doing business. Thanks to the guys that were offering good advice I appreciate it

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Supposedly never over heated and yes I realize this is a lawn mower forum. I was just asking no big deal. When I replaced the water pump hose like I said I filled it back up with water and antifreeze. I appreciate the non sarcastic comments lol I know it is bad just asked for little knowledge in case someone else has run into something like this since there are a lot of commercial mowing guys on here that may have box trucks as well. No biggie having towed to mechanic tomorrow it's just the cost of doing business. Thanks to the guys that were offering good advice I appreciate it

When it was smoking was it white smoke?

How did the driver know something was wrong?

Did it start running bad?

Just by what your first post said it sure does sound like they could have ran it hot.