Toro 6.5 GTS Won't Keep Running

DatacomGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lawn mower was given to me by a friend.. Ran great for about a month or two, and seemingly out of nowhere this problem began.

When its cold, it starts right up and runs solid. I'll get about 10-12 minutes out of it, and then it cuts off abruptly (as if i ran out of gas, yet.. i haven't..) Then, it wont restart until its completely cold. Typically hours later or the next day.

Grr.

Thus far i've done the simple tune up items of spark plug replacement, oil change, air filter replacement. I have not cleaned the carb or taken the motor apart yet.

What gives???

chance123

Threads
Lawn mower was given to me by a friend.. Ran great for about a month or two, and seemingly out of nowhere this problem began.

When its cold, it starts right up and runs solid. I'll get about 10-12 minutes out of it, and then it cuts off abruptly (as if i ran out of gas, yet.. i haven't..) Then, it wont restart until its completely cold. Typically hours later or the next day.

Grr.

Thus far i've done the simple tune up items of spark plug replacement, oil change, air filter replacement. I have not cleaned the carb or taken the motor apart yet.

What gives???

Check your fuel filter and when the engine starts to die out, try loosening the fuel cap. The fuel cap's vent might be blocked.

BrokenTiller

Threads

Grr.

What gives???

Could be that your coil is starting to go bad. Run it until it shuts off again, then pull the plug out and check the spark. When it gets hot your coil might not be generating spark if it is on its way out.

angellonewolf

Threads

Grr.

What gives???

not that i know a lot poss a coil problem ? when it heats up the resistance drop and shorts out ?

DatacomGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your fuel filter and when the engine starts to die out, try loosening the fuel cap. The fuel cap's vent might be blocked.

Can i do any maint to the cap? Should i try replacing it?

As far as when its dying out.. it just dies. There isn't much time to mess with it. Similar to it running out of gas, or when i let go of the handle.

Where is the fuel filter at? I googled, but found nothing..

DatacomGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be that your coil is starting to go bad. Run it until it shuts off again, then pull the plug out and check the spark. When it gets hot your coil might not be generating spark if it is on its way out.

Will test this over the weekend.

chance123

Threads
Can i do any maint to the cap? Should i try replacing it?

As far as when its dying out.. it just dies. There isn't much time to mess with it. Similar to it running out of gas, or when i let go of the handle.

Where is the fuel filter at? I googled, but found nothing..

Well if there is not enough time to loosen the cap, after it quits, loosen it, wait a minute, tighten it and try to start it again

DatacomGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well if there is not enough time to loosen the cap, after it quits, loosen it, wait a minute, tighten it and try to start it again

I follow.. Will test this also over the weekend. Thanks guys.

thacman

Forum Newbie
Threads
A common cause of the engine to not stay running is the holes in the screw holding the float bowl are clogged. This is a simple thing to fix if that's what it is. Just follow these steps:
1.) Remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
2.) If there is gas in the tank, clamp off the gas line hose by wrapping with a rag and clamp with a vice grips.
3.) The float bowl (silver container below the carbureter) has a screw holding it on from underneath. Place some paper towel underneath the bowl since some gas will still be in the line and in the float bowl. Remove the screw holding the float bowl.
4.) Pull off the silver float bowl and check for any debri that may be in it. Clean out the bowl.
5.) Next, clean out the vent holes in the screw. Take a fine peice of wire like a piece from a wire brush and stick it in the holes. There's 3 places to clean out: two holes at bottom, one very small one near the top, and the main one down the middle. Just slide the wire in and out to clearn out any blockage.
6.) Slide the silver bowl back on and tighten the screw back on.
7.) Take off the clamp on the gas line hose and put the spark plug wire back on.
8.) Prime the engine and start it up and see if that helps. Good luck - Let me know.

DatacomGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads

This didn't help.. no go.

A common cause of the engine to not stay running is the holes in the screw holding the float bowl are clogged. This is a simple thing to fix if that's what it is. Just follow these steps:
1.) Remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
2.) If there is gas in the tank, clamp off the gas line hose by wrapping with a rag and clamp with a vice grips.
3.) The float bowl (silver container below the carbureter) has a screw holding it on from underneath. Place some paper towel underneath the bowl since some gas will still be in the line and in the float bowl. Remove the screw holding the float bowl.
4.) Pull off the silver float bowl and check for any debri that may be in it. Clean out the bowl.
5.) Next, clean out the vent holes in the screw. Take a fine peice of wire like a piece from a wire brush and stick it in the holes. There's 3 places to clean out: two holes at bottom, one very small one near the top, and the main one down the middle. Just slide the wire in and out to clearn out any blockage.
6.) Slide the silver bowl back on and tighten the screw back on.
7.) Take off the clamp on the gas line hose and put the spark plug wire back on.
8.) Prime the engine and start it up and see if that helps. Good luck - Let me know.

This didn't fix the issue :(

Still need to test the spark plug, forgot to check that one.