30W oil

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the past I have always used standard 10w/30 oil in my mowers, but after reading many of the opinions here I am switching to 30w before storing them this fall. Went to Meijers today, expected to find several different brands available, but the only one they carried was Meijers brand, and then only in 1 quart containers. I had expected to find gallon sizes available.

Maybe it's just my experience but is straight 30w that hard to find these days?

briggs

Threads
go to wallmart i get mine there

Driller

Threads
We tend to stock up so we don't have to worry about buying it for long periods of time. I'm not sure where we got ours the last time either; might have been a local place. You should be able to find it, though.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I run Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic, in every engine I have... Diesel and gasoline ... Liquid cooled and air cooled. Before switching to Rotella T6 I always used Delvac1 (Mobil Oils full synthetic diesel rated)

...Have been doing it for well over 100,000 miles in a few cars and trucks and thousands of hours in tractors and mowers... Annual oil changes in everything... :smile:KennyV

briggs

Threads
I run Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic, in every engine I have... Diesel and gasoline ... Liquid cooled and air cooled. Before switching to Rotella T6 I always used Delvac1 (Mobil Oils full synthetic diesel rated)

...Have been doing it for well over 100,000 miles in a few cars and trucks and thousands of hours in tractors and mowers... Annual oil changes in everything... :smile:KennyV

I have never used it ..Is it good .i am still stuck in my fathers ways he always told me that synthetic was no good and i never Questioned it ...But i do here it is great stuff .I am still using SAE 30 in all my mowers but thinking of changing shhh dont tell dad

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never used it ..Is it good .

Know what your saying... back in the early 60's I also ran 30W in everything...

Have been around aviation and racing for several decades now.. and the difference in multi vis versus straight weight is well worth looking into, especially in cold climates.:thumbsup:

Synthetic is great in extreme cold or hot....:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I switched everything I had to synthetic in the late 70's ... and then to diesel rated synthetic in the late 90's ...
:smile:KennyV

Attachments

• mower1.jpg
    mower1.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 4
  • mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 3

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Know what your saying... back in the early 60's I also ran 30W in everything...

Have been around aviation and racing for several decades now.. and the difference in multi vis versus straight weight is well worth looking into, especially in cold climates.:thumbsup:

Synthetic is great in extreme cold or hot....:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I switched everything I had to synthetic in the late 70's ... and then to diesel rated synthetic in the late 90's ...
:smile:KennyV

Your probably buying it in gallon containers or larger, correct?
I use shell 15w 40 in my diesel. Don't think I've seen 5w-40 synthetic anywhere convienent. where do you get it?

Attachments

• scag_tiger_cub_showing_dual_coolers.jpg
    scag_tiger_cub_showing_dual_coolers.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 25

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
go to wallmart i get mine there

Thanks Briggs...I do get the Mobil 5-30w in 5 quart jugs for our 3 vehicles from Wally World, will check there next time. Meijers does not sell conventional Mobil oil, only synthetic.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your probably buying it in gallon containers or larger, correct?
I use shell 15w 40 in my diesel. Don't think I've seen 5w-40 synthetic anywhere convienent. where do you get it?

The local Meijers stores here carry many brands of synthetic oil and I'm pretty sure there is some 15-40 in the assortment. But I don't think Meijers is that far south yet. Not sure if Tractor Supply Company--TSC--is in your area either but if anyone has the stuff they will.