Repairs John Deere D170

Daffy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower stalls out going uphill, coughs & sputters, then quits. Will start back immediately, but runs rough, have to wait a few minutes, then it starts running smoothly. Whats the problem?

mullins87

Threads
Going uphill makes me think fuel isn't being pulled/pumped from the tank at the rear of the tractor to the engine, i.e. flowing uphill. Could be any number of issues...partially plugged fuel filter or fuel line, plugged vent cap, weak fuel pump or plugged vacuum line to the pump.

PositronicBrain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine quits when running uphill

I have a similar issue with my Deere L111 -- but with a twist; it got progressively worse, over a three minute interval this morning:

Phase I:
When heading up even a slight incline (with cutting blades engaged), the engine sputters, slows down, and then dies, unless I turn the machine around and head downhill in time, in which case it recovers nicely.
The tractor starts up right away once I'm back on level ground.

Phase II:
The effect was reduced when I disengaged the blades, but then started occurring even with the load off the engine.

Phase III:
The tractor showed the same symptoms even when on _level_ ground; it starts up fine, but does not continue running.

Background
  • Before I started mowing this morning I changed the sparkplugs and replaced the fuel line filter with a Briggs&Stratton OEM filter
  • The Carb has given me many problems in the past, but I soaked it and cleaned all the elements earlier in the season.
  • Outside temperature is about 75 F

Could these symptoms be caused by the fuel pump? Do B&S fuel pumps get "weak," or do they operate fine until one day they quit completely.

Thank you!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would try draining all of the water and crud out of your carb first.

PositronicBrain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Fish -- I'll try that.

So, yet again, the Carb is causing problems....

When I've torn-down and cleaned the carb in the past it's always looked clean; none of the orifices or channels appeared to be plugged up. But it always worked better after an overnight soaking

Are the B&S carbs notoriously prone to getting clogged and dirty?

Thank you.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Naw, but humid weather causes a lot of condensation, just loosen the nut or solenoid on the bottom of the carb, and let it drain
and sit in the sun for the day and dry out first.

Water will lay in the bottom of the carb bowl, and it will run ok until you go up an incline, turn real quick, jiggle, etc....

Just something that you should check first, it doesn't cost anything, and very well could be your trouble.

PositronicBrain

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Fish -- problem solved!

Great diagnosis....

Naw, but humid weather causes a lot of condensation, just loosen the nut or solenoid on the bottom of the carb, and let it drain
and sit in the sun for the day and dry out first.

Water will lay in the bottom of the carb bowl, and it will run ok until you go up an incline, turn real quick, jiggle, etc....

Just something that you should check first, it doesn't cost anything, and very well could be your trouble.