DO THEY STILL MAKE THIS?!

Threads
I have a friend that has a smaller John Deere riding mower (picture attached). Do they still make this kind? It is not on the John Deere website, and I heard it was recalled a while back.

image-3127274618.jpg

oldyellr

Threads
Sadly, JD does not make rear engine riders anymore. Seems the SUV Generation want their riding mowers to look like full size tractors to match their monster trucks. I have a John Deere Model 68 RER from the 1980s, I believe, and it's great for mowing a 1/2 acre lot. I can't tell from the tiny picture what model that one is, but JD made several different models of that style. Unfortunately, many parts for these are no longer available.

Threads
That stinks. I wish they still made a rear-engine rider like Snapper and Troy-Bilt.

oldyellr

Threads
Snapper still makes them. I've also seen 2 or 3 other brands. However, using SUV logic, it doesn't look like you get as much machine for your money compared to the cheapest tractor-style mowers.

Frog

Threads
Hi all,

My neighbor has a J.D Model R72 for sale. Its rough but does run. It had an 8 horse Briggs that coughed up a valve seat so I replaced it for him with a 12 Horse Briggs. Has sat for a year and now it needs a battery. Mowin little thing tho, he helped me mow my yard once last spring after it was running and it mowed just fine. I think he was asking 200 bucks for it but will check to be certain. Its here at my house right now in sunny central Ohio. Oh yea, reverse is a little lame....

Frog:thumbsup:

oldyellr

Threads
Those JD rear engine riders are solid, reliable machines. I agree on the transmission. It's the most awkward shifting box I've experienced. I mostly only use 3rd and Reverse. I can't miss reverse because it's at the end and 3rd seems to be the only gear with a detent, but then the gate is really worn. Those old Deeres will run forever. Even when you can't find parts, you can fix them with a welder and a hammer. 12 hp is what they really need. My 8 hp bogs down in heavy, tall grass.

Frog

Threads
Tell ya what tho, After looking at the clean sexy lines of my 1969 112:licking:,and 96 STX38 (Special John Deere Motorsports Edition) Its an ugly little b^*%&, but I am impressed for the shape its in It was a mowin fool. im gonna drag it out in the next week or so and get it fired up, Well after I mow the yard with "Hoss" (2007 LT180):thumbsup: