Honda HR173

thirty3

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a lovely ancient HR173....I've bent the crankshaft quite badly and if I could get a replacement crank I would have a go myself but they are a bit rare in the uk.

Does anybody know if or what honda engine could be a direct replacement to bolt straight on the hr173 body.

thx...eric

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I own a lovely ancient HR173....I've bent the crankshaft quite badly and if I could get a replacement crank I would have a go myself but they are a bit rare in the uk.

Does anybody know if or what honda engine could be a direct replacement to bolt straight on the hr173 body.

thx...eric

The original Honda engine on that mower was a GV150, and that engine has been discontinued for many years. Some repair parts are still available, like the crankshaft. Current check in parts show (1) of them in stock here in the USA, with a suggested retail price of $134. Please note actual retail selling prices are set by individual dealers; Honda has no control over how a dealer sets the selling price.

You may wish to check with dealers there in the UK; it's possible they may have an old donor engine or parts.

thirty3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,...

When puting a crankcase cover back on will a genuine honda gasket be ok and nothing else or do I need to use some silcone or RTV sealant of some kind plus the gasket.

thanks....

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello,...

When puting a crankcase cover back on will a genuine honda gasket be ok and nothing else or do I need to use some silcone or RTV sealant of some kind plus the gasket.

thanks....

The shop manual does not specify anything but the gasket alone for reassembly. I asked our tech guys and they agree, just the gasket should seal okay.

FYI, the Part Number GASKET, CYLINDER HEAD 12281-ZG1-750 and the list is $12.04. Note parts prices are set by the individual dealer; Honda includes a "list price" just as a reference, so shop around.