Old Snapper push mower

philadelphia1

Threads
Hello,

I have and old 1983-ish snapper tvs90 with what i believe is an Tecumseh motor and carb. I recently had a cracked fuel inlet that was spewing gas all over the place. I decided to replace the fuel inlet and while i was at it rebuild my carb. I bought a rebuild kit...Needle, seat, and fuel bowl gasket. I cleaned all the ports with thin wire. After i cleaned everything up and reinstalled the carb, the mower now runs irratically....idle bobs up and down then stalls. BUT heres the thing....when i press the primer bulb several times the mower runs smoothly. I have concluded that i have a fuel problem, particularly...fuel starved. I sprayed the intake with throttle body cleaner to check the gasket for leaks and found none.

So i decided to take the carb apart again and noticed an irregularity with the fuel bowl screw which i now strongly suspect is the problem. It looks as if it was over torqued and cracked a port to the jet? Please tell me what you think...any suggestions is appreciated. ( Please view attached pics) (zoom in on hole)

Regards,

Here in Philly

Attachments

• bowl.jpg
    bowl.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 16
  • bowl2.jpg
    bowl2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 12
  • bowl4.jpg
    bowl4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 12

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is definitely twisted, will need to be replaced.

philadelphia1

Threads
Could that be the cause of the problems i am having? Or might it be something else. Does what you see in the pictures explain my symptoms i am experiencing?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since the hole in the side of the nut is twisted it could be restricting fuel flow.

Captn Cliffy

Threads
"when i press the primer bulb several times the mower runs smoothly." I assume you mean that you start the engine, and as long as you press the primer bulb, the engine runs smooth. If you quit priming it, the engine idles erratic, then dies. An erratic idle/surging engine can be a fuel problem or governor problem (governor is damaged; linkage is worn or mis-adjusted). If extra fuel (pushing the primer) causes the engine to run fine, then it's most likely not the governor, but a fuel/carburetion issue. The bowl nut has a drilled passage (if you look in the open end of the nut, you'll see another small hole) which allows the fuel in the bowl to be drawn to the idle and main jets. The damaged bowl nut isn't allowing proper fuel flow - a new bowl nut should solve your problem. You said your engine is a TVS 90. Stamped into the engine shroud above the spark plug, you should see a model and serial number in the following format: TVS90-#####A SER ####A (where #=number; A=letter). Your Tecumseh dealer will need this info, as there are several different bowl nuts, and THEY AREN'T INTERCHANGEABLE! Hope this helps.

philadelphia1

Threads
Hello Guys!

Here are the numbers stamped on my shroud.

Tvs90 43103b SER 0256A

So for the past two days i've been looking for a bowl nut online and cannot find the part # listed anywhere. I searched all types of schematics that relate to my mower and there is nothing listed? For example.....look here.... nothing....

http://www.bartzmower.com/pages/Oem...ts_List_#1/TVS90-43103B/ETVS751143103B-EN]OEM Parts

No bowl nut listed? I checked several sites and cannot find a listing for my bowl nut. I decided to go to my local lawn mower service place and they cannot find the bowl nut on their schematics either. He ordered me and adjustable bowl nut that is not OEM to my specific model.

Captn Cliffy, you had mentioned that the bowl nuts are not interchangable....why are they suggesting i go with the adjustable. I think it is shady that they would suggest i do such a thing if it won't work. I dont want to waste my time or money if thats the case.

Here is a link to my specific carb and the bowl nut listed as picture # 5

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/tecumseh_carb_632795.asp]Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Tecumseh Dual System Carburetor 632795

What my dealer ordered me looks nothing like that, and i even took the original with me.

So, does anyone know where i can get the proper schematics that list the part # for the nut i need? Then perhaps i can order one online instead of dealing with the local clown trying to sell me the wrong thing.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated!

Regards,

Philly Yo :confused2:

Captn Cliffy

Threads
Philly Yo:

Sorry its taken this long to get back to you. I was actually replacing the engine on one of our mowers. The short answer is the correct bowl nut for your engine is Tecumseh p/n 631937A:smile:. It's in stock at Sears Parts Direct, so it's still available. The reason you couldn't find it on your search is below.

One thing that would be nice for on-line parts lookups like bartzmower.com is that they would tell you to put a dash between tvs90 and 43103b. Go to bartzmower OEM Parts tab, then Tecumseh Power. On the right, where it says to enter Model:, if you put Tvs90 43103b, you get nothing found. If you put in Tvs90-43103b (notice the dash between the 0 and 4), you get a window that says view on the right, and you can click on Select Assembly. You'll see a plus and file icon before Attachments. Click on Attachments, and there's two more files: RS4- is parts for the rewind starter, and TEC- is parts for the carburetor. The first time I was trying to find a parts diagram for a Tecumseh engine, no results; then I happened to notice by just entering tvs90, it gave a drop down list of possible matches, all of which had a dash. So I entered my model with the dash, and voila!

Good luck, and happy mowing!

philadelphia1

Threads
Thanks, ILENGINE and Captn Cliffy,

You guy were right on the money. It was the bowl nut causing all my problems. I picked one up for like $5 bucks, popped it in and she started right up. Idles perfectly. My snapper motor is almost 30 years old and runs like new. Was in storage for over 20 plus years. Still has all the factory oem decals and stickers on it. Well thanks again, i appreciate your kindness and help. Here is a picture of the old bowl nut next to the new one.

Regards,:thumbsup:

-Philly

Attachments

• DSCN06062.jpg
    DSCN06062.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 8