Adding a recoil pull start to a electric start only Lawn Boy

thadpk

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Adding a recoil pull start to a electric start only Lawn Boy
Hello all! New to the forums, just picked up 3 Lawn Boy mowers. All have electric start only.
Models are:
8243AE1
8243AE
82414E

What would the process be to convert these to recoil start (not sure why they were never manufactured with electric only???)

Thanks all!

Fireman 123

Threads
It's probably going to cost you some decent money to buy the parts to do this. There's a few ways you can go. One would be to switch out the top of the shroud with a cup mounted to the flywheel and re-coil mechanism fixed to that. Look at the later F series motors for this example. Two other ways these were made are having a recoil, and starter gear mounted to the engine block under the side of the flywheel, where your ele start motors are. Some pulled straight up to start, while others had the starter rope routed through eyes and up to the handle. I hope this makes sense. Kinda hard to explain.

thadpk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like I may be better off just getting a new battery then. Why would they have made this with no recoil starter? That is bizarre, but there must have been a reason. Anyone know?

Fireman 123

Threads
I have no idea why some didn't have a backup starting system. The later models had both. I agree a battery would be the best option. Good luck with them.

thadpk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Any idea on where to find reasonable batteries for these?

Fireman 123

Threads
Maybe eBay. I've wondered if the 12v Power Wheels toy batteries would work. I believe wal Mart sells them.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like I may be better off just getting a new battery then. Why would they have made this with no recoil starter? That is bizarre, but there must have been a reason. Anyone know?

If it's just a 12v battery... that shouldn't be that big a deal. You have lots of options if you're willing to fiddle with a custom mount.

The idea of putting electric start on a push mower is so absurd that it may give me a headache if I don't get off this subject. :confused2: