Signs of Wear and Need for Repair

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Guys,

You're a technically savvy bunch, so I have a question for you... What are the most common signs that there is a problem with one's mower? Sounds, resistance, visible changes etc.

Thanks!

scott47429

Threads
theres alot of different signs it could be the way the engine is sounding or the way the mower deck sound it could be the way its cutting it could also be the lack of power could also be the way it steers could be that it don't go as fast as it use to so there are alot of different ways for it to tell you its sick are you having a problem with yours if so this is a great place to get it figured out

wildbill

Threads
Change the oil yearly, blow the mower off to remove all clippings after each use, NEVER mow when the grass is even the slightest damp, clean the air filter once per month, keep the blade(s) sharp, put Sta-Bil in the gas at the end of the season so it will not leave deposits over the off season, keep the mower under a cover or in a garage, and it will last many-many years.

If it starts and runs rough, change the plug and get the carb cleaned.

Signs of needing repair: It will not start, starts and quits, attacks the neighbors dog, etc

MBTRAC

Threads
A very broad question; general common signs of wear are varied & may included any of the following &/or combinations thereof (apart from the "no go/difficulty starting/rust" scenario's):-

1. Engine
- Excessive smoking &/or overheating
- Lack of power
- Excessive oil consumption &/or oil "interior" contamination of the air filter &/or "blow back/fuming" from the dipstick tube
- Oil contamination (via water &/or fuel &/or metal)
- Miss firing

2. Transmission
- Excessive vibration/harsh engagement
- Lack of power/torque &/or difficulty of engagement
- When warm slippage under load &/or fwd/rev direction changes
- Excessive heat
- Oil contamination/discolouration &/or premature belt/cone wear

3. Deck/Axles/Frame
- Unusual vibration &/or high pitched "squealing" evident (indicating spindle/pulley/bearing/belt wear..etc)
- Uneven/irregular cutting&/or deck unable to maintain consistent cutting height
- Signs of oil/grease "bleeding" from components
- Premature belt wear/throwing of belts
- Excessive play in steering linkage

4. Electrics
- Blown fuses/frayed or degrading wiring
- Continually blowing light globes
- Charging system not supplying sufficient charge (to battery..etc)
- Starter spinning slowly/harsh engagement

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
attacks the neighbors dog, etc

Note to self... :laughing:

A very broad question; general common signs of wear are varied & may included any of the following &/or combinations thereof (apart from the "no go/difficulty starting/rust" scenario's):-

1. Engine
- Excessive smoking &/or overheating
- Lack of power
- Excessive oil consumption &/or oil "interior" contamination of the air filter &/or "blow back/fuming" from the dipstick tube
- Oil contamination (via water &/or fuel &/or metal)
- Miss firing

2. Transmission
- Excessive vibration/harsh engagement
- Lack of power/torque &/or difficulty of engagement
- When warm slippage under load &/or fwd/rev direction changes
- Excessive heat
- Oil contamination/discolouration &/or premature belt/cone wear

3. Deck/Axles/Frame
- Unusual vibration &/or high pitched "squealing" evident (indicating spindle/pulley/bearing/belt wear..etc)
- Uneven/irregular cutting&/or deck unable to maintain consistent cutting height
- Signs of oil/grease "bleeding" from components
- Premature belt wear/throwing of belts
- Excessive play in steering linkage

4. Electrics
- Blown fuses/frayed or degrading wiring
- Continually blowing light globes
- Charging system not supplying sufficient charge (to battery..etc)
- Starter spinning slowly/harsh engagement

Wow, thank you! What a wealth of information. I will certainly remember these general signs when operating a mower or dealing with repair questions and I'm sure it will help other members. I appreciate that you took the time to write that out. You must have quite a bit of experience with mowers...

MBTRAC

Threads
Thanks - pleased to be able to help.

I usually only buy S/H mowers so I have seen & experienced a few of the pitfalls.....the key to avoid wear/repairs is scheduled maintenance which anyone is capable of performing (see my other posts for details ) should help a mower last 1000hrs+

I've also always found it always easier & far cheaper to identify the "symtoms" & stop prior to failure than wait to fix on fail.........oddly enough most of my experience is from farming & maintaining the tractors, trucks, equipment on our farms, so for me mowers are just another tool of trade on our rural enterprises which we need to depend upon.......though with so much rain/wet cold condtions lately "down under" I am just about all "maintenanced" out for winter.