restoring a john deere 110 - paint.

lm002

Threads
Hello all I am about to undertake the restoration of a 1965 john deere 110. I wanted to know how to paint it (or if I have to get it painted) and what paint to use. any suggestions? I want it to end up like this :

Thanks

Attachments

• JohnDeere1103.jpg
    JohnDeere1103.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 46

cjdave

Threads
Your local Sherwin williams can make JD green

PJ

Threads
lm002 said:
Hello all I am about to undertake the restoration of a 1965 john deere 110. I wanted to know how to paint it (or if I have to get it painted) and what paint to use. any suggestions? I want it to end up like this :

Thanks

Hi
Jhon deere has a standerd color for paint you can obtain at a dealer
PJ

lm002

Threads
Thank you both for posting, but should I use spray paint or like a brush paint? and do I need some time of protective coating on it too?
Thanks again

PJ

Threads
Thank you both for posting, but should I use spray paint or like a brush paint? and do I need some time of protective coating on it too?
Thanks again

The paint supplied will be a Duco and must be sprayd on to give you a nice and shining finish. Remember with spray paint 90% of you succes is in the preperation of the surface you want to spray.
Good luck
PJ

Kosier

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am almost finished restoring my 1965 110 lawn tractor and I used Valspar paint from Tractor Supply. It was a bit less expensive than purchasing the paint from the JD Dealer. I've also used this paint about 6 years ago when I restored my JD 116. I have been very pleased with its durability and color fastness.

Sent from my iPad using LMF

fastback

Threads
The paint on the John Deere shown looks like base coat clear coat, that has been wet sanded and buffed. Unless your set up to do this it would be a little hard to duplicate. Keep in mind that something this nice would be hard to use with out scratching. This is more of a show type tractor. I recently sold a JD LA (1942 vintage) that I did this type of paint job to a lot of time spent of both the body imperfections, as well as the paint.

If you plan on using the tractor keep the finish to a minimum. I used regular JD enamel for both the green and the yellow. Spray is always best if you have the equipment and space to do the job.

Attachments

• 000_0035 comp.jpg
    000_0035 comp.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 25

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As to how to paint a tractor is what you are going to use it for. If you are going to show it for a trophy go all out and spray paint it with a lot of sanding and buffing. When the tractor is manufactured they really don't see how perfect they can make the paint job seeing it will be used for working not show but still want a nice looking paint job. I have some working lawn tractors that are going to get run in the brush and are just going to get beat up with general use. I still what them to look somewhat decent. I give them a quick wash job and sanding to remove all the dirt and anything loose. Hammer out any big dents with a little filler like bondo. Then I tape off anything I don't what painted like decals and tires. Myself I always first paint them with a good primer and then finish with a enamel paint all done with a good quality paint brush. When I am done they look like new, that is from a distance with a few brush marks and small dents.

fastback

Threads
Something else you can use for painting is a 3 or 6 inch foam roller they do a great job and almost looks like it was sprayed on. Like Reynoldston said, it realy depends on what you intend to do with the tractor.

Ean

Threads
Order john deer paint and primer for best results