Lawn tractor for 1/2 acre lawn

Black Bart

Threads
THE John DEERE dealers here in winston Salem nc sell and service the same products the big box stores have. the big box type Deere's are made by john deere here in north carolina a local dealer told me!!!
This is true all over the country if it has the same model number it will be the same and the John Deere dealer WILL SERVICE IT.

My local JD dealer has the same thing as what you find at Lowe's but they will tell you they only last 6 or 7 years they were made to compete with the lower price mowers.

JD wanted to get in on some of the low end sales can't blame them for wanting to sell more mowers but it hurt their reputation because a lot of people are dumb enough to think that they got the same JD as what cost 3 times as much.

When they discover it was not they blame JD rather than their own ignorance.
JD can not build a $1995.00 mower that will be much different than another manufacture.

The old saying is true you get what you pay for .
Their is an old saying it goes like this.

IF YOU WANT CLEAN FRESH OATS YOU MUST PAY A FAIR PRICE

IF YOU CAN BE SATISFIED WITH THEM AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE HORSE THEN THAT WILL BE CHEAPER.

All new tractors have the safety device on them Federal Law it requires you use both hands to back up so you can not hold a child while mowing.

ZTR is excempt because you need both hands to run them.

Carl in CT

Threads
The 2010 Simplicity Conquest I just bought as a new leftover has a safety key that you just have to turn once after you engage the blades which allows you to mow in reverse. I think the 2011 models are the same. My dad's box store Deere (L120 I think) has a button you have to push every time you want to go in reverse. You don't have to hold it down but you still have to remember to push it every single time which is very annoying. I can live with my Simplicity's key, turn it once when you engage and you're good to go until you disengage the blades. I don't know what the new JDs have or if that crappy button was just on the cheaper box store models. BTW, his JD has been to the shop 2-3 times in 4 years or so as well as me having to tinker with it once or twice, not great quality but it was cheap and it's green if you must have a green mower.

Since this is an old thread I'm assuming the op has bought his new mower by now but anyone looking for a good mower without breaking the bank but wants to go a little better than the box stores should check out the Simplicity models. The larger Simplicity models like the biggest Broadmoor, Conquest, Prestige and Legacy are expensive but the Regent is reasonable at $2,300 - $3,300 and is a great mower if all you need to do is mow and want the best cut around, including striping rollers. Even the smaller of the Broadmoors is $3,600 and is a heavy duty lawn tratcor (but it doesn't have the Vanguard motor like the bigger two Broadmoors and 2010 Conquests do).

fastback

Threads
The Husqvarna has the key switch that allows you to mow in reverse. You set it once at the beginning of the mowing event and you can cut in reverse without touching anything else. I chose the Husq for the price, but I did not get it from the BB store I got it at a local dealer. If you go with the Husq get the one of the units with LS in the model number they all have beefed up decks and better engines. The list on my machine was around $3,300, I haven't had it long but so far it seems to be working out well. A few more hours and I'll do an evaluation for the forum. Good luck on the purchas.

Mr Manouche

Threads
I mow 2.5 acres with a craftsman 24hp and a 54" deck that I bought new 2 years ago. It wasn't my first choice but I love it. They 'tight turn' feature is awesome, it turns in a 6" radius. It mows in reverse, the engine is solid, and it was way less money than my first choice.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I mow 2.5 acres with a craftsman 24hp and a 54" deck that I bought new 2 years ago. It wasn't my first choice but I love it. They 'tight turn' feature is awesome, it turns in a 6" radius. It mows in reverse, the engine is solid, and it was way less money than my first choice.

I hope you realize that you just bumped a 6 year old thread. You may not get a lot of replies.

lawnmowingdude

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, new member here. I have a big lawn, about 1/2 acres. Have used an old agway mower with 4 wheel steer. Not sure who made this machine but once you get past the plastic body panels it's been a decent little mower for the price - paid $50 for it at a garage sale. Before that I had a walk behind and will never go back to that.

Looked at the new JD models at Home Depot but I am not completely convinced that they aren't priced up a bit for the name and paint job. There are a lot of other brands out there but I am not sure which direction to go. Was thinking about a JD LA125 or LA145, anything bigger would be over kill imo.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

If you want to go for a riding mower. then Husqvarna LGT2654 26 HP Hydro Light Garden Tractor, 54-Inch is a really good choice for your lawn. You may also like to check Poulan Pro PB23H48YT 48-Inch 23 HP Briggs and Stratton V-Twin Riding Lawn Tractor, if you are in a tight budget. Happy Mowing...

Information source: Best Garden Tractor for 2016

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the green strip at the top of the post written in white letters is the date the post was made.
We all appreciate your input but the OP has probably sold his 1/2 acre and moved on to a 50 acre ranch by now :laughing:

And where my manners ?
:welcome:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bringing up a old post is ok.
It brings it back to the top. And most have some good information in the comments.
A lot of people come on here and research and never make a post.